Hi,
The GOOD news is that your mother has finished with radiation! That means while she may may feel awful and have no appetite today, she will be feeling better slowly over the following weeks and months.

Also, are the doctors and medical staff worried with her nutrition intake? They are the ones with the experience and knowledge about how patients deal with this. One possibility is that to a healthy person her intake may seem low, or may be very different from her previous levels.

A year ago, at the end of radiation, I consumed only a few cans of Ensure or Boost a day. Sometimes I would have a yogurt or a glass of soy milk. Your mom is right - food doesn't taste good and is hard to eat. But her job now is to eat and get healthy. I kept a little note book and wrote down what I ate, as well as when I took medicines. I continued to lose weight for 3 months after radiation - see why so many use feeding tubes. I had a nose tube for a few weeks after surgery. Not fun, but I fed myself. In many ways it is easier than eating.

Soft mushy foods are best. I ate a lot of whipped cream, also ice cream - although its cold for a radiated mouth and throat. I thinned down mashed potatoes with chiken broth or lots of butter. Pureed or cream soups are good. (Cook onions in butter, add a can of chiken broth and cook a frozen pack of broccoli in it. Blend it and add milk if wanted for a creamy soup).

And let her complain a bit without having to feel like you need to solve the problem. It sucks, and is no fun - a bit of self-pity at not being able to eat your favorite foods is ok!

Tell her IT WILL GET BETTER - hang in there!
michelle

History of leukoplakia <2001-2004. SCC lateral tongue 9/03; left radical neck dissection & hemiglosectomy 10/03, T2-3,N0M0; 28 IMRT radiation completed 12/03. 30 HBO dives Oct-Nov 04 for infections and bone necrosis -mandible.