I could have gotten through radiation treatment and the weeks after without a PEG..........I'm tough as nails and if I HAD to I WOULD. I just question the strength of a 75 year old woman?? I have often wondered why I was able to ditch the pain meds the week I was done with radiation, while others stayed on them for a few months after treatment ended. I think the answer is that I did not have to go through the pain of trying to get my nutrition by mouth. I never mean to imply that the PEG is the better way to go, I think it's the EASIER way to go.
If Sara's mother was my age (43) I wouldn't suggest the PEG as strongly. But this is a 75 year old woman who needs all the help she can get with nutrition. Sorry Mark, love you much, but I have heard grown men speak of the pain when they tried to eat by mouth. Sara's mother doesn't need to endure that if it's avoidable.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.