This PEG tube stuff always brings out all kinds of emotional response - more so than any other topic (except religion). I didn't get one and defied my RO, AMA. Rummage around in the archives and you will find the same discussions. Maybe some folks are short about this because of that very reason. I have to admit that there haven't been many discussions of the nasal feeding tube option so that has been an education for many of us.

I paid a price for my decision - lost 60 lbs, inhibited the healing process, etc. Would I do it again, go PEGless that is, probably, but I couldn't in good conscience advocate that path for everybody. It certainly isn't a path for the faint of heart or those in which extreme pain is an issue. Did it help my future swallowing prospects? I use to think it did but now I am not so sure. The swallowing issue is a complex one subject to many factors and unknowns. Surgery, pectoral flaps, radiation, etc. all play different roles.

Some folks here very life has depended on the PEG. The bottom line is that we all respond differently to treatment so everyone's opinions are of value. It does cause me a little pain to see it getting personal, or rather that some opinions are percieved in a personal manner. We are all survivors here and each of us bring a unique piece of the puzzle to the table. This is NOT directed to anyone in particular, just a general passing comment.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)