One more little note, because I don't think I recall seeing this particular issue being discussed before. If you get a PEG and then decide it is not right for you, you CANNOT get rid of it right away. We were told it takes about 6 weeks for the stomach wall to heal. If a PEG is pulled out before this healing is complete, the stomach would collapse. So, like it or not, you are stuck with it for at least that long. You don't have to use it. You just won't be able to get rid of it for awhile.

If you decide you don't like the naso-gastric tube, I believe it is no big deal to pull it out. Since no surgery is needed to insert it, there is no healing time needed before it can be removed. The worst that can happen is probably a sore nose and throat for a few days.

Again, I am not saying that a naso is preferable to a PEG most of the time. I am just saying it is a viable alternative. The main drawback is its less-than-appealing appearance. And I don't personally feel that cosmetics should play much of a role when making this decision.

Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.