Hi all,
I probably should let this subject die a natural death, but it has been bothering me for a couple days now and I feel the need to reply to minniea's last post. Sherry and Ken, I will apologize in advance if I cause you any distress over this. That is not my intention.

Minnie,
You seemed concerned that the wrong message was being sent, that Ken may be scared away from using a PEG, yet the majority of you fully and wholeheartedly supported the idea of a PEG over the naso-gastric. 2 posters did state that their doctors (in 2 non-US countries) routinely recommended naso-gastric instead of PEGs. They both stated, however that they personally had used neither tube and they weren't endorsing either type. Bob had experience with a naso-gastric tube and said it was okay for a short time, but he couldn't imagine having one for long term use.

Eileen and I were the only ones besides Bob who actually had any experience with a naso-gastric tube, and neither of us categorically stated that PEGs were "bad" and naso-gastrics were "good". And we definitely were not suggesting that Ken should not use any tube at all. I did feel he could get by without one for awhile, if the thought of getting a naso really bothered him, but I did not say he should totally do without a feeding tube. And although Eileen did state that she would choose a naso again instead of a PEG, she also stated that she would do so if needed for 3 weeks or less. I assume that means that for long term use, she would consider a PEG.

Anyone who takes the time to fully read my posts will see that I almost always state that Heather's case was more severe than most and I never recommend making a decision based solely on her experience. I try to be very careful and use words like usually, probably and maybe a lot. I never state that my opinion is the best nor do I categorically recommend one thing to the exclusion of all else. In this case, I was simply trying to answer the original question ........... Has anyone had experience with the naso tube versus the PEG tube and any insights as to how easy or difficult it is to use?

I think in your zeal to promote the PEG, some of you lost sight of the original issue. Ken's oncologist at a major hospital was recommending a naso-gastric as opposed to a PEG. Sherry wanted to know what our experience had been with the naso tube. Was this as bad as she and Ken imagined? Did anyone's experience bear out what the doctor was saying? You said you had never heard of a Naso-Gastric being suggested over a PEG. Neither had I. You also stated If the PEG were such a risk I don't believe the top doctors in the country would be using them. I agree, but no one was saying they were such a risk. The question had more to do with whether or not the naso-gastric was a poor choice compared to the PEG, specifically was it harder to use?

I try not to get bent out of shape too often, but every now and again, there is a post here that touches a nerve. I know that most cancer patients' journeys do not parallel Heather's. Most of you, THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS!, do not have to endure what she did. I know the extreme anguish she suffered sometimes colors my views, but also because of it, I feel I have a unique perspective to offer. I don't post often anymore, because, quite frankly, there are few questions to which I feel I have a better or different answer. The rest of you do an excellent job of answering questions about all sorts of issues. I usually only post if I feel I have something different and of value to say. Sometimes the replies, although excellent, are a little one-sided. Minnie, I believe you wanted to be sure the post was kept balanced. That is exactly what I was trying to do. One-sided and balanced are not even in the same ballpark, let alone the same thing. Since I did have some experience with a naso-gastric tube and also since Heather's experience with a PEG was different than most, I felt by presenting this side of the issue, I was bringing balance to the post. Sorry for ranting, but like I said, for some reason, this post touched a nerve and I had to get this out of my system.

Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.