Hi Delores,

I had the naso-gastric tube for 8 days after I had the total laryngectomy. It is simply a narrow plastic tube, about the size of the one the doctor uses when they scope us, and the insertion is the same. When not in use, you tuck extra tubing behind ear. It is trival to use, keeps the esaphagus in use since you need to swallow and not prone to any kind of infection since there is has been no surgery to insert. For short term use, I would recommend it.

I also did NOT have a PEG during radiation nor was one ever recommended. I lived on Ensure Plus only for several weeks and only lost 5 lbs, down from 123. Had I needed feeding asistance, my radiologist would have used the naso-gastric tube. Realize I was getting XRT and had had no surgery other than a neck dissection. I feel that not having a feeding device allowed me to return to eating much sooner than others who relied on a PEG.

Browse this board and you will find this discussion has come up many times before. The ones who had the PEG say, get one. They say it is no big deal, but the next thing I see on the board will be some one with it infected, or can't swallow, and some other non trivial problem. Those of us who didn't have one, say it can be done, but it is not easy. It will depend on how motivated your husband will be toward eating when everything tastes like chalk or worse or the only thing he can ingest is something like Ensure.

Personally, I would still opt for the naso-gastric tube if I needed feeding assistance for 3 weeks or less. I do not need another hole in my body that could become infected, especially when I am fighting cancer. That is one man's opinion and not the opinion of most on the board. Any yes I do know several people who were on the PEG for more than 6 months that had major swallowing problems. If he decides to go the PEG route, be certain that he also drinks lots of water orally to keep esaphagus working. It also helps flush the radiation out of the body. I had to drink ice cold bottled spring water, because tap water burned the tongue.

Take care,
Eileen

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I