Minnie,

I don't like to use this forum for arguments or debates either, which was exactly why I resisted my initial urge to respond. As you can see, it was 2 days before I gave in and posted a reply. I should have been smart and done what some others did, put my thoughts in a private message instead of airing them on the forum. I'm sorry that I didn't choose to do so.

I think what I objected to in your post was your desire to "bring balance" to the issue.. I felt that we, as a group, had already done that. There were several opinions in favor of the PEG tube, a couple neutral and a couple, under certain conditions, in favor of the naso-gastric. That seemed to me to be pretty well-balanced. It also seemed to address Sherry's question rather thoroughly. I just didn't see how everyone touting the use of a PEG above all else and totally disregarding the potential value of a naso tube was bringing any kind of balance to the issue.

Don't forget, Sherry asked this question because Ken's oncologist had recommended a naso-gastric tube. Obviously, if this oncologist prefers a naso-gastric over a PEG and if it is routine in some countries to recommend a naso-gastric over a PEG, there has to be some merit to them. I readily concede that in the majority of cases, getting a PEG is the best decision one could make. They normally do work well, do not get infected and do not cause swallowing issues. But the fact is that some people do have problems with them. A PEG is not always, unequivocably, without a doubt, the best thing since sliced bread! And believe me, you do not want to be one of the people in that tiny minority who have a bad experience with one.

You have trouble understanding what I felt was offensive about your post. I have trouble understanding why some people can't concede the fact that sometimes a PEG isn't the best choice. And, just for the record, I didn't think your post was offensive. It just needed a balancing view. Whew, all this balancing.........you'd think we were all gymnasts! Also on a lighter note, I loved your "food" for thought pun, Sherry!

Minnie, before Brian comes down on me for causing discord on the boards and locks this thread, let me say my response to your post was too heated and I do apologize for that. And I am sorry for making you feel uncomfortable. But I stand by my assertion that sometimes, just sometimes, a naso-gastric tube is preferable to a PEG. One must get all the facts, discuss the pros and cons with their doctor, take a deep breath and choose. Then get on with their treatment and kick this cancer beast in the butt! laugh

Take care all, wink
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.