My little sister (23) was diagnosed with cancer in the right side of her tongue this past December. She endured radiation treatments and brachy (sp?) therapy. Two weeks later, her tumor reappeared on her tongue this time bigger. In May, she had the tumor removed and a flap constructed on her tongue. Her doctor assured my family that she was cancer free at the end of the surgery. In July, she began to experience pain and this past Wed (Aug 4) we found out that her cancer has returned to the same place and now is in her neck and throat, which affects her breathing and eating. She has a trach in and will need it basically forever and a feeding tube in her stomach.

We were told that there are no other surgeries that can be done. Her choices are chemo, experimental drugs, or nothing. She does not want to experience chemo, despite the fact that it could save her life. I fear that she has lost her hope in beating this. Is there anyone who experienced a similar situation and underwent chemo and the chemo worked? How did you keep your hope and will to fight? I desperately want her to fight, but ultimately I want her to be happy and out of pain. Any advice would be welcomed. I don't know if there's anything that I can say to her to restore her hope. I think she feels so defeated by her cancer. I know I can't possibly understand what she is going through. She doesn't know anyone her age who has had all of the surgeries and treatments fail. I think she is getting tired of fighting. How can I help her see that she can still beat this?

God Bless

Sister of Kim, a 24 year old cancer fighter diagnosed on 12/5/04, who fought strong and hard and died with dignity and honor on 1/3/05.