Aimee,

I was stage II, had clean margins, but had some aggressive aspects to my tumor, and at first I was told I did not need radiation. I went for a second opinion at a leading CCC (partly at the urging of folks ehre) and they said I did need rad--and gave me some good arguments why. So I just want to second the suggestion that you get another opinion at a CCC--and have them look at your path slides again too--mainly because if that opinion also says you don't need radiation, I think you could rest a little easier (of course that's what I was hoping I'd hear from my second opinion and instead, I ended up having rad but I have no regrets that I took the most aggressive treatment after learning what I learned from that opinion).

As for my experience with radiation (I chose to be extra aggressive and have chemo too), it was not as good as some others here although that partly may be because I elected to get my treatment at a brand new facility, so I'm not going to get into that, except to say that at this point I really don't worry too much about recurrence. I know I did absolutely everything I could and if it happens, it happens. I don't want to waste any of the good time I have today worrying.....

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"