Hello all,

I'm new to the board and wanted to introduce myself and hopefully connect with some people in my situation--I know they're out there.

I was diagnosed with Stage 2 SCC on my tongue in late January and had a partial glossetomy along with several dozen lymph nodes that were removed on February 13th. My surgery actually went really well. I was blessed to have an excellent surgeon and to stay at a great hospital, The Huntsman Cancer Hospital. The biggest downside was that I had a trach as the doctor was worried about my throat swelling up. Not being able to talk was scary, but I had a great caregiver. My mom didn't leave during my whole stay, except for meals, showers, laundry etc. I was off pain medicine within days after surgery and the scar across my neck from removing the lymph nodes is hardly visible. My speech was somewhat impaired but has benefited from exercises from a speech pathologist. I only have a problem with s and z sounds now. My margins came back clear and the lymph nodes were clear as well. So the good news is that I

Stage 2 SCC of tongue, surgery only 2/13/06. Margins & nodes were clear. No rad or chemo deemed necessary. Recurrence found 4/07. Surgery 5/22/07 with Cisplatin x 3 and 33 IMRT. Died 12/28/07.