From Amy to Aimee. In January - I was diagnosed the same as you - age 29 Stage I or II (They didn't get an accurate measurement due to sectioning in pathology- it was borderline for size) partial glossectomy and bilateral neck dissection. I didn't have a trach - that seems to be the only difference. My margins - while very close on one side were negative - and so no radiation - I even went to a radiation oncologist who specializes in head and neck cancer to get his opinion and for the same reasons as you state - age, adverse effects ect....they don't want me to do radiation.

I am back to work and have been since mid February - I was only off work for 3 weeks for the surgery. I thought about it (the cancer and it coming back) constantly until I had a PET/CT scan on April 7th. Since that came back free and clear I haven't thought about it nearly as much. I had my scan done a little early - b/c I wanted to change jobs and didn't want to switch if there was indication that the cancer would return or had returned already. I was in the process of changing jobs when I was diagnosed - so that was a particularly hard blow for me. I had to stay where I didn't want to be and could do not a thing about it!

I've pretty much accepted that it could come back at some point and I will just deal with it if it does - but I've been able to move on with my life - and really move on - in just the last few weeks I'd say.

I'd say you'll be there soon - to where it doesn't completely comsume you.

I also live alone as not married and no children - so had way too much time to think about it. I found it helped just to go to my friend's house for the evening - even if all we did was vege in front of the TV.

Good luck and if you want to pm me - feel free.

SCC Right Lateral Tongue T2N0M0 Dx 01/12/06, Surgery 01/25/06. Partial Glossectomy, Bilateral Neck Dissection - 22 lymph nodes - all clear. No radiation.