Hello Aimee,

The anxiety you are experiencing is common and because of that it is perfectly normal. You will over time "outgrow" the feeling. The stress of all of this is part of an overall life experience. Many of us have decided that while it seems bad the overall experience is one of personal growth, spiritual (metaphysical) understanding, and a grand appreciation for people that come to our aid. In short, the overall experience is a positive one. You probably will be more introspective and generally more philosophical than you were before. That is a good thing too. The anxiety itself is a feeling that you can learn to control and if needed, or medicated successfully.

On the medical side I'd like to amend what Danny said because it (accidentally) implies that many stage one and two cancers aren't survived and that more stage 3 and 4 are survived. This is not true and I don't think Danny meant to suggest that. What is important for you to know is that because this is a serious illness you need to be certain of the best possible treatment. To that end, have a VERY frank discussion with your oncologist. He/She needs to be absolutely convincing that you have done all you need to do to beat this. I strongly suggest you ask for a second independent opinion from a Comprehensive Cancer Center, including re-examining the pathology. (You didn't mention where your care was received) Even if you have to travel a long ways at great expense, you are worth it! This will offer you two positive things: confidence in the care you have already received or perhaps additional treatments to be certain.

Radiation is not something I would wish on anyone needlessly. BUT you do not want this thing coming back!

P.S. I in no way am suggesting that you need more treatment! Please do not let my comments cause you more worry. I feel your oncologist is probably correct but it will not hurt to have other professional opinions back that up!

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.