Paul reminded me of a couple things I should tell you. My situation was definitely NOT the average one. I saw many who had similar surgeries and they made out just fine, some were sent home after only about a week in the hospital. I'll explain what I can remember but it is NOT the usual experience most patients go thru so please dont worry more after reading about my issues... When I had a trach, from what I remember, I did NOT like it but I had to have it. I had the passey muir valve trach so I could talk easier so if you must have a trach ask for that one. Tell your doc this prior to the surgery and again when he comes to sign your body prior to surgery. When I think about my trach time, I was so uncomfortable and in so much pain from major surgeries, several skin graphs, staples across my face and arm, etc. Everything hurt!!! Even my wisdom teeth hurt me which I had removed 20+ years ago. LOL! Most days I just would lay as still as possible, moving even the slightest made everything hurt even worse. Remember... consider the source, this is coming from someone who is extremely wimpy!!! I was also pretty foggy during that hospital stint. I had trouble remembering from one day to the next who came to see me or what we talked about. I was kept in a medically induced coma for 3 weeks due to complications. When I was finally awake, I felt like I was in a daze most of the time. I could not concentrate, read a book, walk without significant help, I was very unsteady on my feet and didnt even have the strength to walk to the end of the hall and forget about walking by myself... that was way beyond my limited capabilities. I could barely text (or completely understand the text conversations going on), my fingers had trouble typing and I could barely read the text message, let alone figure out what it meant. Most patients are groggy after a major surgery. Being in pain and being groggy makes it so most patients arent too concerned about a trach or any other medical devices that are used on them. Even though I wasnt a fan of the trach, it was a necessary evil. What bothered me more than the trach was something that was annoying, it didnt hurt at all, it just bugged me. I felt the blow up leg balloons that kept inflating every minute or so making it impossible to rest and get comfortable. Bottom line is while in the hospital after having a major surgery, there are so many other things that take precedence over having a trach. Try your very best to avoid anticipating a trach and how you will manage it. Thats some of the "what if" thinking that only makes things so much more difficult on patients than it has to be. Kinda like borrowing trouble. Most patients find that focusing on something positive helps decrease their anxiety over a specific treatment, appliance, etc. Im sure you will be groggy and not even notice the trach at first. Then when you do notice it, you may not be aware enough to pay any attention to it.

The SpeakIt app is what a friend of mine always used. She was a wiz with it and found it to be super simple to use.

Yes, cancer can make you feel like you are alone on a deserted island. You are NOT on your own, we're right in your corner cheering you on. Stop back frequently!!! Dont forget you have us here to help you. We understand what you're going thru, many of us have been thru similar things and know exactly how you're feeling.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma