Cheryl's response is a good one. You have a large tumour involving 90% of your entire tongue You have already identified that you have LVI and PNI. This is an aggressive cancer. What are they telling you that the Induction chemo will do for this tumour?. Will you avoid surgery? What about a neck dissection? Current research shows improved outcomes for oral cancer patients who undergo a neck dissection. I think you need to weigh up the benefits/risks here. I would only be happy to proceed with the induction chemo if that was the recommendation of a whole tumour board.
I am positive that the only reason Kris is still alive is that we moved very quickly on his surgery. He had a stage 4a, very large, Base of Tongue tumour that involved 50% of his tongue. His was HPV positive, but was not cured with earlier radiation and chemo. He had no LVI or PNI.
Please move quickly, make sure your case is discussed and treatment recommended by a whole tumour board. Not just an MO , not just a radiation doc and not just a surgeon.
We are not medical Drs . This is just my opinion. But I do have personal experience and have spent some years on this and similar forums. I know that you are in an awful space just now. It is certainly very understandable that you want to avoid this extreme surgery . Please make sure that you make a well informed decision. This is your life.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!