Wow, MandaRe, you have some tough choices to make. I hope that MSKCC will make things clearer for you.

I've had cancer of the oral tongue and reconstructive surgery to replace half of it with a flap from my inner wrist. I went back to teaching after that surgery.Four years later when I had a new primary on the buccal mucosa, I knew that my teaching days were over, even though my speech remains good. It's just more of an effort to talk and at 68 I was only ever going to do relieving or supply teaching anyway. I was thinking of doing some online tutoring which is a real option these days.

My daughter-in-law has just completed a course of inductive chemo for breast cancer. It has shrunk the tumour considerably so that surgery will be much smaller than otherwise. However, when I researched inductive chemo, I found that the stats do not support it as a first choice of action. But then each individual is different and for you it might be the best choice.

All the best
Maureen

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.