Hi Brenda! I struggled with mouth sores during my treatment and recovery and even after one year my mouth is far from completely healed. Magic Mouthwash was my friend during treatment, as was this mix of baking soda and salt (not sure exactly the measurements; my dentist recommended it). The magic mouthwash gave me relief during treatment and recovery. I was told by a member here to try manuka honey to help heal sores but it didn't work that great for me - mostly because lozenges were hard since they trickled down my throat and caused choking. The best advice I ever got was to buy a Water Pik. I have used it faithfully, daily and then some, since last February, when I was in the middle of treatment. At that time, I could only use it at its most gentle setting because my mouth hurt so much. But it managed to keep me clean and is probably the reason my dentist said she never saw a head and neck cancer patient finish treatment with a mouth in such good shape. I so feared losing my teeth I became pretty obsessive about my mouth. The Water Pik also helped my mouth to feel fresh, even if it never lasted long during the worst of it. I would and still do put Biotene mouth wash in with the water. If I think of more tips, I will post again. Wishing you the strength and patience to get through this. You will. -Michelle

SCC left tonsil, stage IV, HPV+, metastatic to one lymph node. Biopsy 12/23/10; tonsillectomy 1/13/11; DX 1/25/11; Peg in 1/28/11. Peg out 6/29. TX 1/31/11-3/21/11: 35 IMRT plus 3 Cisplatin. Pet-Scan 6/20/11 = CLEAR! Three years out, learning to live with the long-term side effects of radiation while reminding myself to feel blessed.