I never had any issues choking in my sleep. I was in the hospital for 8 days, and I had my ng tube in for 3 almost 4 weeks and had my trach in for almost 3 weeks. When the trach starts to clog up, he can cough it up, or try to, and if that doesn't work, they should teach you how to suction it out if he goes home with it in. Most don't go home with it in, but I did.

I slept flat on my back until radiation, and then I just slept on the couch with a wedge pillow under my head and that was because of the peg feeding tube I had in.

As for eating, they should give you a plan, or have you meet with a dietician when the time is right to start him back on eating.

I went from ng tube to food that was the consistency of mashed potatoes, or baby food and just went from there. It all depends on how they handle things though.

Before I was allowed to eat, I had to show my speech therapist that I could eat applesauce ok and swallow water ok. It was exciting but also nerve wracking. But it was much easier to eat soon after surgery then it was radiation, that took a lot longer.

I wouldn't try things too soon though. Just go with what the docs advise. I hope surgery went well! thinking of you both and hoping for the best.

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010