Ching - it is a serious illness - it's cancer - I had a tumor on my tongue - the size made it stage 2 - 2.5 cm x 1.5 cm - from my CT and MRI scans I had no lymph node involvement - I will find out for sure today as I have my first post op check up. I had the same surgery as your husband will be having. It was a 10 hour surgery - part of my tongue was rebuilt with a graft from my wrist. I was in the hospital 10 days - I have heard of shorter times - I am not sure why - I think it's dependent on the dr. And the medical system in the country you live in. Possibly insurance related - however - I am three weeks post op and feeling good. I am not 100 % yet but operating at about 85% - my speech is still off because my tongue is swollen, my neck and shoulder are still stiff and numb - but I've had no real pain - even post op. They had given me morphine for the first 48 hours but it made me a space case - and since I wasn't in pain I asked them to stop. From that point on I had a couple of Tylenol 3s before bed. And by day 7 I was off pain meds. That said - everyone has a different pain tolerance - it's a big surgery - by no means is it an easy recovery - but things will improve daily. The wrist (my graft site ) is the worst of my scars. It has healed well but it's just ugly - but there's no real pain there either - the range of motion of my neck wrist and shoulder are still not perfect but I imagine a few months from now they will be fine. I am eating well (normal foods, small bites, though some foods like rice are unruly), and speaking with a lisp, but I think that will heal in a few months as well. everyone is an individual and I'm told I heal quickly, but hopefully this gives you some idea of what to expect with your husband. Take care and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan