Hi,

I, too am new here. I had a biopsy 12/16/09 and was told 12/23 that it was squamous cell cancer. Actually, 2 weeks before the biopsy, my bone marrow doctor told me it looked like squamous cells.

I am a Leukemia survivor, had a Bone Marrow Transplant in 1993. The problems I've had surrounding that were Graft (new bone marrow)vs. Host (me) The new immune system attached my mouth, eyes, and all other mucous membranes. The past almost 2 years, I had an unusual spot where a tooth had been in back of upper right mouth. The Bone Marrow Doctors set me up to see an Otorlarngologist at the same place, a major cancer center. In July an MRI showed OK, in the fall this area proceeded to get worse as I've been sick with upper respiratory problems. By November, we agreed to quick biopsy. After results I did find this forum and read some information. After a CT scan, I was told 1/6/10 that I would need a right posterior maxillary paletectomy, and it was scheduled for 1/21/2010.

Wow, talk about fast. I did manage to get another opinion at another major center nearby, and it was the same conclusion.

Had the surgery, got out of hospital 1/31/10 with a peg tube. A few days later they told me that the pathology showed some tumor cells existed in the margins and I would need Chemo, 3 rounds, one every 3 weeks as an inpatient for a day, 6 weeks of Radiation

I should be starting in about 2 weeks, so I imagine this is the best that I will be able to feel for a while. As I said, I am new here, so not sure if this is the right place to post, but wanted to get myself out there to those in the know. They fitted me with my mask today. I was glad that I had read a little about that beforehand, or it could've been a lot more scarey.

Marytwicesurvivor

Survivied CML 6/93 with a Bone Marrow Transplant
diagnosed invasive SSC of right aveolar ridge 12/09
Right posterior maxillary paletectomy with obturator placed 1/21/09
Temporary Obturator 1/28/10
Home 1/31/2010

Survivor of Bone Marrow Transplant for CML 6/93
Non Smoker, Non Drinker
Diagnosed 12/23/2009 T1 NO MO Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma right maxilla
Surgery 1/21/2010 right posterior maxillary palatectomy
Chemo & Radiation to start 2/22/2010