Charm,
When I was on Cisplatin I was told the best time to get a PEG in would be the middle of the third week. Any later and it could be complicated. I opted to have it put in right then as I was expecting the tough road to hit that next week (week four). I used the PEG out of curiosity just into the fifth week.

Although I want to think it was all the due diligence that made things easier (hoping that there was a way for all by following some process), I trust my doctor(s) when they just shake their head and say it's just luck.

And you're right too, in that if David hadn't prepared me for planning on the worst case scenario (and given me info one what I'd be experiencing-dry mouth, lost taste etc.), this would have been much MUCH more stressful as things started happening.

Still, I wish some way could be found that could help EVERYONE going through this to be able to get through it easier. It's just frustrating to think that Tx hasn't really changed in 20 years.

I feel like my doctors at Kaiser just treat the patients as cars in a drive-thru.

Age 49, HPV 16+ SCC, T1N2bM0, Stage IV R Tonsil, 2 nodes, nonsmoker, lite drinker, 100 mile/wk biker, workout, play hockey, Tx:10/26--12/15/09, IMRT x35 70Gy, no surgery, Cis 1st rnd til some tinnitus loss after day 2, carbo next 3 wks, Peg in 3rd wk;still ate some solids 6th wk. 2012/05 Still Clean