Print Thread
Ankur Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi! I am posting from India. My uncle had been detected with cancer in the jaw around three years ago. Right now,there is a reocurrence in the right cheek. Doctors say its in the initial stages and have suggested Photo Dynamic Therapy (PDT). He will start with the therapy on wednesday.

I would be grateful if anyone could share any information / their own experience of undergoing the therapy. Specifically the side effects, the success rates, anything he should be careful about. I could not get any links which go beyond very preliminary information, so please do direct me to right place if you can.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Ankur --

In the search box in the upper right of each message-board page, type photodynamic (one word, not two) and hit the Go button. You'll get two pages of results, including three substantial threads.

The second and third threads were started by someone who has had PDT. You could send her an e-mail or a private message for additional details.

And here's another thread started by someone else who had the treatment.

All the best,
Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Just bumped this up as my Google feed on base of tongue cancer had a new story from the UK in Photo dynamic therapy, specifically for treating reoccurance of BOT after radiation & chemo. Since my last PET?CT scan three months ago had a troublesome reading with legal that "metastatic disease can not be totally excluded" because of "focal hypermetabolic activity in the floor of the mouth with a maximum SUV of 4.5..."(I'm familiar with legal disclaimers but this read more like a brutally candid self assessment of the reviewing radiologist's diagnostic ability). My entire CCC team said don't worry but did schedule another one for next month. The threads were all about a year old that I found so anything new from the posters here on PDT. I acknowledge in advance that this article reads like the typical tabloid take on cancer treatment, and I will definitely raise it with my radiologist and chemo and ENT at my next visits with each of them over the next month but as good as they are, I always learn something from OCF posters.
PDT for BOT in UK

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard