Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9820 03-05-2007 11:50 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Does anyone know why Stanford University is not on the list of NCI Cancer Centers? Are some places "Comprehensive Cancer Centers" but are not NCI designated? I've read the info on the NCI site but I still don't get it.
The sign outside Stanford does say it's a "Comprehensive Cancer Center". Just curious.
Thanks
Mel

Age 36. Four years of fighting Stage 4 Skull Base Cancer
Can't even fit it in the signature line. I've tried it all! 5 surgeries, IMRT, cyberknife, cisplatin, erbitux, AIM, taxotere, carboplatin.
#9821 03-05-2007 01:11 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

The National Cancer Institute provides funding for research. Institutions apply for NCI designation (the selection is done through a peer-review process), and the term "NCI-designated" primarily has to do with the facility's research interests --- not the quality or scope of patient care.

An NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center means that the institution is involved in research in three areas: laboratory, clinical and population-based. All NCI-designated comprehensive cancer centers also treat patients. An NCI-designated cancer center concentrates research in one or two of those areas, and a few of these facilities -- like the Wistar Institute in Philadelphia or the Salk Institute in San Diego -- do research only. Further information is available here: http://www3.cancer.gov/cancercenters/description.html

By contrast (and Brian or Gary, please correct me if I am wrong), the term CCC as most frequently used here means that the facility uses a team approach to dealing with an individual case, bringing the knowledge and experience from a variety of specialties to each treatment plan -- a "comprehensive" approach, as it were.

Stanford is part of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), an alliance of 20 of the leading cancer centers across the United States. The NCCN's focus is primarily on patient care and clinical practice guidelines. Here is information about that network -- http://www.nccn.org/about/default.asp

-- Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
#9822 03-05-2007 01:17 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Mel,
There are 2 possible reasons that they are not on the NCI list: 1. They didn't apply (most likely) or, 2. they didn't meet the criteria.

It's a whole lot pf paperwork and basically funds research only - not patient care, and is basically a grant process. See: http://www3.cancer.gov/cancercenters/CCSG_Guide12_04.pdf

None the less, being one of the 20 NCCN member Institutions packs a lot of weight anyway. Stanford is at the cutting edge of cancer research and patient care. The NCI institutions follow the guidelines developed at Stanford and the other NCCN member institutions.

I think Leslie explained the "comprehensive" part pretty well.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#9823 03-05-2007 02:38 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Leslie and Gary - that definitly clears it up.

Age 36. Four years of fighting Stage 4 Skull Base Cancer
Can't even fit it in the signature line. I've tried it all! 5 surgeries, IMRT, cyberknife, cisplatin, erbitux, AIM, taxotere, carboplatin.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23