Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201878 04-30-2023 06:41 AM
OP Offline

My dad is 89 years old and complained of right ear and jaw pain for monthsvand started having excessive salivation and lump on right side near his ear(lymph node). Doctors diagnosed as sore throat, dental issues, possible stoke symptoms due to his atrial fibrillation, slurred speech and difficulty speaking. We asked to see an ENT and finally just went ourselves where the ENT scoped my dad and found the cancer and it was biposied and came back HPV16 squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsil and tongue. PET scan showed the hyoid was encased by the tumor. That was March 22, 2023.

They ENT wants him to have radiation, but due to his other issues and age 89 and he will be 90 in September, being frail he is having a hard time swallowing and chokes on food and saliva. I'm pureeing everything, smoothies, ensure and more. He hates it and does not want to eat and hates the taste.

He is not sure what he wants to do about radiation and surgery is out according to the physicians. Finally going to the oncologist Wednesday of this week due to the multiple delays from the ENT. Truly frustrating.

My brother was diagnosed with the same cancer at 55 and is still having speech and swallowing issues. Not my first rodeo going through this.

His age and frailty is a large concern. Anything throws my dad in AFib. I was reading and looking for articles and most of them state AFib comes with radiation or chemo. What happens when you have AFib first. Doctors defer to answer.

Any insight appreciated

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Louis: Sorry to hear that he's run into this at his age and condition. I can't say much about AFib, radiation or chemo but I can tell you that the decision to have the ENT inspect it and then to move on to an Oncologist were both good decisions in my opinion.
That said, it comes down to the options available and picking the best one. It appears that the family is already doing that, so keep up the good work.

SCC stage 1 Nov. '03,
SCC stage 2 (clear mrg, no rad, no chemo) RND, Feb. '15
SCC stage 1, lower gum Mar '23

TLC356

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members