Thread Like Summary
Brian Hill, DeepSeaDan, StephenS
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#201027 11/03/2021 1:15 AM
by DeepSeaDan
DeepSeaDan
Greetings,

I'm 4 years post-treatment for an HPV-16 tumour that settled in my left tonsil cavity. I asked my Oncologist what the potential effects of the radiation exposure I received might be for my left carotid artery. He indicated that I am at greater risk for heart attack & stroke due to the effects of radiation on my carotid artery. I discussed this with my Physician and asked if an ultrasound of my carotid arteries would be in order and she agreed.

The result: 50% - 70% occlusion in my left carotid artery, while the right side proved normal.

She is now consulting with a cardiologist to determine a course of action for this problem.

Has anyone else experienced such an issue? It made sense to me the tissues directly and in-directly influenced by this energy would be adversely affected.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why I was not alerted by a medical professional as to this potential issue, as it seems to me a proactive approach would be beneficial.

Regards,
Dan
Liked Replies
#201046 Nov 15th a 03:36 PM
by mentn34
mentn34
Dan,

My thyroid issues occurred around year 5 as well I went to the doctor complaining of being tired easily and taking naps which was out of character he order the Thyroid test and bingo that was the issue it took a couple to months to get the medicine to the right level but he got me back to myself with one pill a day. I have had to increase the dosage twice since then. If they do put you on thyroid medicine it is highly recommended you take it first thing in the morning and not eat for apx 30 minutes. (Game Changer) I also have terrible spasms from the base of my skull down my neck and across my shoulder scared me to death first time it happened. I seem to notic3 them the most when the weather is changing a friend brought me some cream for a medically legal state thc it instantly relieves the spasm I have no idea why but it does I just dont always have it with me when it strikes.Radiation causes some discomfort and medical issues but without it we probably wouldnt be around to talk about it. Back to the carotid. my vascular surgeon would not operate until blockage was at 70% so it was a waiting game for a couple of years. I highly recommend you find a surgeon with experience with radiated tissue it took me several calls to find that. I received a stent is was one of the easiest procedures ive ever had I was awake the whole time and watch the procedure on the screen the Doctor was using.
2 members like this
#201673 Dec 21st a 08:15 PM
by Michaelii
Michaelii
If you’re on the right dose there’s no need to be so regimented. It’s absorption rate is very long and waking to take it at 4am is not even remotely needed in my experience.

Sleep hygiene is 10x more important.

I take my levothyroxine in the mornings but miss at least 4 does a month and often take it with my full breakfast. Sometimes not.

Never after 3-4 pm since it can keep you up.

Hope this helps.
2 members like this
#201035 Nov 8th a 04:03 PM
by mentn34
mentn34
I had a stent placed in my Right Carotid about 4 years after Radiation. I continue with ultrasounds every year to make sure we don't have any more damage. 15 years post treatment now! i was lucky my team at MDACC found the damage at one of my yearly check ups.
1 member likes this
#201679 Dec 25th a 07:16 PM
by Brian Hill
Brian Hill
I'm the same. I take mine when I first get up each day which is similar times but not regimented. So the first thing could vary by an hour or two. The important thing is to take it on an empty stomach and not with food, which will counteract its effectiveness. Thirty minutes before eating will give it time to get into your system. This is all important because as a hormone, it is impacting many things your body will do throughout the day. keeping it at a stable level is the key.
1 member likes this
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23