Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ssax Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

This evening I posted an article to the news section of the OCF site - "Diet, nutrition, and cancer � don�t trust any single study". The article provides useful information about how to interpret the numerous medical studies that are published indicating some relationship between diet and cancer.

There have been numerous studies, for example, about the benefits of fruits and vegetables in preventing cancer. But, it turns out that the benefits are most direct for colon and breast cancer and not specifically for other cancers.

The article also summarizes recent thinking about the impact of alcohol, obesity, and eating barbeque and other high-temperature cooked foods. It also makes the important point that the results of an animal study do not necessarily translate to the same results for humans.

For those of us always looking to get the best odds in our fight against cancer, this article is a worthwhile read. - Sheldon

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Shel,

Thanks for continuing to provide us with all the current articles related to cancer.

Interestingly, I have been involved in an ongoing study run by Dr. Willet since I was in dental school in the late 60's. I'm not sure if any of his opinions are based on this study, but it sure has been very comprehensive over the years. My input had been pretty boring (thankfully) until I had my cancer in 2005.

Hope you are doing well and still getting those good checkups.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Everyone should read this article very carefully. It addresses some important scientific factors overlooked in much of the current health advice given by even respected medical authorities.
We probably wont hear much about it because the �single study� press releases get more attention and most people read only the title or conclusion and don�t consider the whole study critically.
the link is
http://oralcancernews.org/wp/2009/04/diet-nutrition-and-cancer-%e2%80%94-dont-trust-any-single-study/

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics