Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi David,

Dr. Thomas McGaffrey will be doing the surgery next Tuesday.

Connie

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Have they talked about radiation? Do you already have a rad guy? What about chemo?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

David,

Dr. McGaffrey said, I might have a small dose of Radiation if they find cells in the Lymph Nodes nothing was said about Chemo yet. I'm sure more will be said after surgery. My Rad guy will be the Oncologist (in Fort Myers) who stepped on it when I was sent to him to have full-blown Rad, which was a NO. I also got a second opinion from another Oncologist in his office Surgery first.

Connie

Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Connie,

You are in good hands at Moffitt. Bill sees Dr. Judith McCaffrey and upon his initial visit, Dr. Trotti(RO)...DavidCPA's doc. All our checkups are at Moffitt but we received their blessings to have treatments locally with our excellent docs here.

You are very normal to feel like this is a nightmare but take one day at a time...get thru this initial assessment period and you will feel better (emotionally crazy) when you finally get going on the surgery/treatment.

Best of luck from a fellow Floridian!

Hugs, Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
OP Offline

Thank you Deb and Bill...I spelled Dr. McCaffrey's name wrong I hope he's not reading this forum:):)

I'm stressed out right now, can't wait until it's over. It floors me to think.....it was let go, I can't stop thinking about it. The what if's...my dentist took the time to say Biopsy, Oral Surgeon, lets see what this is back in January. I guess a person goes through rage and venting first that's what I'm doing, I know I shouldn't but I can't help myself. Right now I'm beating myself up for not demanding a biopsy but who would have ever thought.

My friends and family have been listening to me go banana's about this for 3 months.

It will get better I'm sure.

Thank you all for replying I do appreciate it.

Connie

Connie,

The vast majority of us here had some type of delay in our dx's. We did because of a move and new insurance and getting established with a PCP who precribed an antibiotic for Bill's sore throat until he could see us two months out. We he finally saw Bill's throat, he had that look like "I screwed this one up!" Thankfully, at that point we did know that we needed the big guns.

Anyway, take that anger and use it toward the resolve to get well...it will take everything you have to do it. Bone up on your nutrition and calories and get a notebook in order with all your docs and paperwork. The plastic sheets that hold business cards are a godsend and I still us that notebook for reference and phone numbers..that way everything is in one place and you can grab it when you see each physician. That alone will keep you busy and productive.

We are just 1/2 hour north of you and an easy drive off the interstate. Call if you need some support or info.

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Connie,

May I suggest you get another Dentist. Maybe the back-up Dentist that
that knew you had a serious problem. You might tell your old Dentist why you are leaving and how badly he screwed up.

Sweetpea
2/09 MEC Rt Submandibular Gland,Tumor Exc,age 68; 4/09 Rt Neck Resect, Excise Rt Lingual Nerve, 10 nodes; 1 month later- Lge Abscess Drained 5/09; 4 more cancers, final path report; 6/09 IMRTx33

David,

Connie is scheduled to first have the surgery on Tuesday, the 21st. We spoke on the phone last night.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users