Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Malka #89497 02-04-2009 07:18 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

You are amazing! I hope to NOT be in ICU but I am all over the hospital when hubby goes for treatments (I am the "official" keeper of paperwork, appointments, coffee fetcher, etc.) I can think of a lot of places to put brochures and buttons...both locally and at the hospital. You inspire me!!!

CG to H with SCC BOT T4N2cM0 dx 12/19/08, teeth removed pre-tx; Erbitux & RT-done 3/12/09, PEG 2/9/09-7/14/09; ND 6/16. Pet 6/12-no mets except lymph node in neck removed on 6/16. Chyle leak,2nd surg to repair. Dilate esophagus 4/15/10. Clear PET 12/17/10
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hello OCF Members:

I just wanted to report that the state chapter project is off and running! Our volunteers are out passing out brochures and other literature about OCF and making contacts with dental offices/hospitals/cancer centers. They are making OCF known in places where we can be useful to other oc patients/caregivers. We are spreading the message about early detection! This is just the beginning, the possibilities are endless.

If anyone has any ideas for the volunteers to increase awareness, please let me know. I welcome any and all suggestions.

I will keep everyone updated on various projects we are undertaking.

Susan

Susan Lauria - OCF Director of Events - Always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about early detection! Contact me if you can help!

*Brother passed away from tongue cancer in 2006 at age 47, was co-caregiver, he was non-smoker/casual drinker

LETS MAKE ORAL CANCER HISTORY!
Malka Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Small steps:

My husband is wearing a "Dental exams save lives" button and has had people ask about it. He says this is my wife's "club" and if they don't know about my journey with OC he explains it to them.

When I went to the ENT and Surgery clinics last week, I gave some of the buttons to the reception staff desks. I also gave some to the doctors, students, etc.
An ENT resident showed me that he was wearing the button I had given him. One of the students said that he had noticed one on a lab coat hanging in the MDs' surgery lounge.

The first year med student who removed the sutures told us she will probably go into ob-gyn so I told her about the link to HPV.

Yesterday when the appliance repairman had finished, I told him of the importance of thourogh dental exams to detect oral cancer. He told me that his wife works in a dental office and they had just gotten a light for checking. I had the state chapter box handy so I gave him a few brochures and some of my new OCF cards. When he comes back I will get the phone and address of the office to follow up.

As I go through multiple tests and xrays, I speak to the techs, transport people and others about OC.

There are many opportunities to tell people about OC and as caretakers, patients, friends and family it is important that we speak up because it is so unknown and misunderstood. If just one person is helped we have made a giant step forward.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Malka #89838 02-10-2009 09:30 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I think we should create an "oral cancer awareness ambassador" position..... when we do I know who is going to get my vote.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 02-10-2009 09:30 PM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Count me in too!! I will cast several votes . . . . .

Oral cancer doesn't have a chance with Malka on the loose!

Susan Lauria - OCF Director of Events - Always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about early detection! Contact me if you can help!

*Brother passed away from tongue cancer in 2006 at age 47, was co-caregiver, he was non-smoker/casual drinker

Malka Offline OP
OP Offline

Brian,

Don't ambassadors have to leave their home and pay a lot of money for the privlege?? I don't want to take away your job. I'll settle for cheerleader even though my recent surgery limits my tumbling and leaping.

I was given a blessing by the Lubavitcher Rebbe that my words
would be effective. He quoted a French expression "with the eating comes the appetite." It is not always easy to speak up but I feel that since I have found out how devistating OC can be I must speak of it.

Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Malka #90035 02-14-2009 06:54 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Malka- ambassador, cheerleader, whatever...you are just an inspiration grin Got a packet of the volunteer stuff last week and have already got some to RT and chemo, and one dentist's office (my cousin - tho we don't see each other much, live in different towns, etc.) who was greeted with "do you do oral cancer screenings?" He actually does but was not aware of OCF and was glad to get the info. He tried to tell me I was a good person to be doing this while Mike was in treatment and I told him nope, I was just a scared person and don't think anyone else should have to go through what Mike is going through. Amazing how that fear can motivate you. I'll get some more stuff out this week. If this puts one person in touch with these forums or helps just one person get screened in time I'll be a happy camper....though I'm shooting for way more than one!

CG to H with SCC BOT T4N2cM0 dx 12/19/08, teeth removed pre-tx; Erbitux & RT-done 3/12/09, PEG 2/9/09-7/14/09; ND 6/16. Pet 6/12-no mets except lymph node in neck removed on 6/16. Chyle leak,2nd surg to repair. Dilate esophagus 4/15/10. Clear PET 12/17/10

Cheryl,

Thank you so much for helping out passing out information. It is such a good thing you are doing and as you said if we can help one person avoid the pain, suffering and everything else associated with oral cancer, it is worth EVERYTHING!!!

I wish you and your husband strength in your battle. It is a devstating disease to everyone.

Your efforts are so much appreciated!!

Susan

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi all,

Can we order packets from this site? I would LOVE to pass out inforamtion and buttons for people. Like everyone else here, I have so many doctor appointments and would bring them everywhere I go. Nothing would make me happier. How do I get started?

Malka, you are aweomse and an inspiration. Maybe we could cheer together!!!! Have a mentioned latley I love this site and the people here?!?!? It makes me so happy to have found this site that I totally forget about my pain. Knowing we have each other and we can make people aware of this disease is wonderful. I'm EXCITED!!

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)

Hi Suzanne,

That would be great to add you to the list of OCF volunteers. If you would like to pm me or go to my gmail account, [email protected] and give me your home address and contact number we can set you up.

This is such a great effort for you and we really appreciate it so much your willingness to help others while you are recovering from your ordeal. I am overwhelmed by the efforts of all on this forum and am so proud to be associated with OCF.

I wish you all the best in your fight.

I am in NJ as well, where are you?

Take care and I look forward to hearing from you

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
CarlMN1962, Cubbies1990, Morgan, apextotodile, G.D. Hewi