Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Oh yeah I know what I was gonna say when I started posting (Duh JIm you catchy lol) I too was feeling good not needing much pain killers two months out. Not to be negative nelly but I would keep them available cause I am feeling more now then I was at two months...But everyone is different... physio kills...

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

It has been brought to my attention that I intertwined socialized medicine with Dianes particular medical issues and that was an error in my judgement.

First off, although healthcare in the US is far from perfect, I am still personally opposed to socialized medicine. This is my own personal viewpoint and does not reflect the views of OCF. One only has to questionn the fact that the government can't even run a viable VA or military hospital system let alone a nationwide system of healthcare. Look at the trainwreck that Medicare is and the crisis that is looming as millions of babyboomers are just entering the system.

Please do not comment on my views in this thread - it is not my intent to start a debate on socialized medicine here. Start a new topic if you want to. I am sure that all of us would appreciate differing viewpoints on the subject. I do not want to hijack Dianes thread. As a matter of fact I'll start one in the general topics section go to:
http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=86084&#Post86084

Diane, others have pm'd me, (from Canada) that their pain was adequately managed so there may be contraindication issues with your other medical conditions that may have played a role in your physicians decision not to give you better pain relief.

Many doctors in the US also have the same viewpoint about addiction and needing pain meds so far out from Tx or surgery would be questioned here as well. Not that it would result in an automatic denial. Nerve endings can be damaged and give phantom pain for long periods of time. I would still question it however. I found that my MO was my best source for understanding my pain management issues. I got very little sympathy from the RO, H&N surgeon or even my general care PCP. Pain medications are frequently abused here as well so it is not surprising.

Last edited by Gary; 12-14-2008 06:57 PM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

It's sad really that they are abused and it depends on what abused is. My mother has chronic pain and is on a patch for it. I have a lot of the same issues as my mom but do not take anything stronger. I am also concerned now more than ever that if I should not be feeling pain this far out of surgery what the heck is wrong. I have a very high pain tolerance and in my view have taken meds sparingly. Weather it is phantom pain or real I do not know and am very confused. If I am not supposed to be feeling much pain how come I am? Guess it is back to the doctors. I have sharp pains like pulling stitches and a burning feeling lower on both sides of my neck. Not like the sharp pains of nerves reconnecting. It is constant. I also have what seems to be pressure not in my ear but below both ears. Again Surgery or something else, or just my mind. This is all very confusing. I never really had any pain with the orginal cancer so nothing to compare with. Oh well as usual I will be told it is all in my head. lol...

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY

Phantom pain is very real. The nerve endings get mangled up in surgery.

For what it's worth - I don't think it's in your head (once again I need to dsclaim that I am NOT a doctor)...

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

No worries just looking for backup or possible answers doc won't do follow up scans unless abnormalties. I do not know what is abnormal. I just know it isn't right to be in tears due to pain still, not all the time mostly after a full day or therapy). All the talk of managing pain and it really isn't there. Everyone's pain tolerance is different. I can handle arthritis and joint pain, back pain but when it comes to my mouth it always has felt like throbing when I have dental work done. Even when I had all my teeth out it hurt much longer than most. I guess this is not good.

Diane,
Even the NCCN guidelines, used in the US, only call for physical exams and an annual chest xray for H&N follow-up. Some people here get annual PET's, MRI's etc. but some institutions will not perform them and then there is the insurance reimbursement issue.
I managed to get annual MRI's but only had a PET scan in the beginning, as part of my initial workup.

You could invent a cure for cancer and if the insurance compaies won't reimburse it's dead in the water.

Gary Allsebrook

You got that right....I was under the impression that it was a part of your post treatment to have scans done. I agree that cures would not have a chance if not supported financially somewhere. I have heard of needles costing almost $1500 and they only last a month not covered by most insurances. Same as here physiotheropy and nodal massage is not covered only a couple of people do it. I am lucky to have been referred and accepted by both (with the aid of a perscription)

Dianne, get them to do a needle biopsy in the gland below your eras.. It only hurts for a little while. So the song says. LOL It quita hurting as soon as they are finished. I don't wqant to scare ya buddy. I had it and they found nothing that way , but It still hurts, especially when it's cold. Old DUH here was told to keep my ears warm and to not put anything including a wash cloth in them. Slow learner in the fast lane.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

My FNA took seconds and it was similar to a shot. No additional pain what so ever.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users