Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Angels,

When you get seriously uncomfortable with the sunburn stuff, mention it to the radiation techs, the nurses, or the doc....they usually have samples to give you. This way, if you like the product, you can buy some...if not, see if there is something else.

Glad you made it thru the first one..one day at a time and soon you will be finished.

Hugs, Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill

Angels- It gets better. I took a Bob Marley CD and pretended I was on the beach. It did work. Since it has only been 4 months, if I hear Bob Marley now I have to turn it off! The first day lasted longer I believe (i think they are making sure they are hitting the right areas) and as other posters said they measure usually once a week. I had variations of tightness of the mask (the radiation therapists said sometimes your face area gets swollen) but I think at the beginning--a lot is nerves and the newness of the mask. You will get use to it--I was panicked at first BUT after a few weeks I would get drowsy in it. Good luck!

35 years old, Right Tonsil T2N1M0 and CIS in Larynx (3 times removed), Nonsmoker, social drinker, 32 IMRTS and 6 rounds Erbitux. Finished 5/23/08

Angel,

For the skin I have two scripts that are Betamethasone Valerate, one is cream based for the skin and the other is ointment based for around the mouth and lips. They work wonders. I also have scripts Pilocarpine to help the salivary glands working, a swish and spit, a swish and swallow and finally fluoride trays. I use everything the RO gave me. NO pain meds...I could have used them twice but did not acquire to ask for them. Over the counter I use carnation VHC, ensure, boost, boost energy fruit drink, Juven for amino acids, gatorade and benefiber; although, I am off solids and doing all liquids. Before my rad txs I bulked up and gained about 7 or so pounds...so far I lost 10 pounds or so. They say I'm doing well and if I can keep it around two pounds per week I'll be okay. I try to shoot for 3000 calories per day but honestly I peter out around 2000. Sometimes I get more in sometimes I don't. I drink a lot of fluids, over 60 ounces a day. I slowed down on the water and do a lot of supplement drinks. Water has no calories...so I try to get what I can in whatever liquid there is available. I've been able to drive every day but take someone with me just in case...Every time I see the RO someone is there with me...Two or three set of ears are better then just yours.

If or when you enter the liquid stage and you don't have a PEG then...VHC is a Godsend. It's thick like pancake mix but has 560 calories per 8 oz...nothing out there like it. I also need extra extra extra time in the bathroom in the morning just for phlegm. The first thing I do when I wake up is get a cup of coffee and a carnation VHC...every day. It's hard work and it hurts at times but soooo many others have done it and so will you. You'll be fine, one day at a time. And for every little thing come here and ask...even if it's just for a pick-me-up...we all need those. You will be fine.

best wishes

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Angel,
I used prescription Biafine on my skin and it was wonderful. As Christine says, nothing on the face or neck when you go for radiation. Put the cream on after you get home. Biafine is also supposed to help prevent you from burning. Instructions say start to use two weeks before you start rads. My RO also said to wash with only Dove or Olay soaps, others dry skin too much.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

My Drs nurse gave me a bottle of Aloe . I used it everyday after rads and had no problems. Aquaphor on the lips too. I cleared up in about 2 weeks after rads stopped. The aloe was thick like a jell and not watered down.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline

Thank you all for the information. I started Chemo yesterday. I was good there and afterwards, but this morning I woke up with horrible thick saliva and hard to get up. I have had severe acid reflux and burning in my somach today. I an taking Emend the 1st three days during chemo and I have Phenegrin also to take. During my chemo they give me 1 bag of fluids then a mixture of meds with some fluids that contain zofran, ativan and dexamethasone, then I get the rest of that bag with cisplatin, after that runs out I get another bag of fluids. It took almost all afternoon after I had rads at 9am and chemo at 10am. I have been in the bed a lot today. No one has mentioned about how to care for my skin at the RO. So I will bring it up on Monday. Again thank you all, Angel

SCC left tonsil, tonsillectomy with additional tissue removed 06/10/08, a few teeth on top left side removed 09/05/08,recurrence before treatment started at BOT and tonsil area, 35 IMRT treatments began 10/15/08, and Cisplatin IV (began10/16/08) weekly for duration of radiation.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Angel:

Chemo days can be quite long ones. It can wear you out easily as time goes on with the rad tx. Hang in there, ask questions and take the advice given. By keeping your intake of fluids as high as possible, it will enable you to avoid many problems. Even if you think you are doing ok, take the anti-nasuea meds. Once you fall behind and are sick, its too late to get ahead of it. Hope you get rest over the weekend for a fresh start on week number two.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Christine, Today I feel very hyper, but okay. No nausea but already real dry mouth. The flouride that I use at night makes me have a very dry mouth. Does anyone know if the gel flouride is better than the cream as far as making your mouth dryer? Thanks a lot. Angel

SCC left tonsil, tonsillectomy with additional tissue removed 06/10/08, a few teeth on top left side removed 09/05/08,recurrence before treatment started at BOT and tonsil area, 35 IMRT treatments began 10/15/08, and Cisplatin IV (began10/16/08) weekly for duration of radiation.

get some biotene mouth wash and some biotene toothpaste,, they will help but ask your dr 1st if it's ok.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Angel

Please don't ignore the "sunburn" or try to tough it out. Keep on top of it despite the other symptoms. The posters have given you excellent advice as usual. No gel/lotion etc during actual treatment and try all the doctor's samples in the waiting room (Aquaphor, etc) Start experimenting with creams and bug the doctors, nurses and techs for alternatives if something doesn't work. In the very beginning, my RO recommended Burt's Bee Salve and it worked really well for me but it did not last. Although Burt's lip balm worked the entire TX time. Hope you are one of those who just sail through this burn wise.

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters