Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

I see you got it Rett xx

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Rett,

I really haven't heard of to many people that have started suffering so bad so soon, especially having to use the Peg so soon but as Liz says EVERYONE can react differently to the same exact Tx.

I have reprinted a couple of things that may help:

Editing Signature Line:

It helps the responder to your Post if you include facts about your Diagnosis and Treatment, etc under your Signature. See mine below as an example. To add to your signature go to the top of the screen and click on MY PROFILE. Then click on EDIT PROFILE and scroll down to the Signature Block and type away. Once you add it, It appears every post you make and your questions and even responses are more understandable.

Try Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC. It has 560 nutritional balanced calories in a 8 oz can and will cut the misery and the time in feedings. You order it thru your pharmacy dept and some have suggested that if you get a prescription for it, your insurance company will pick up the tab. I only pay about $32.00 per 24 can case at Walgreens. That's only $5.00 a day for 2000 calories.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Carmex worked on the lips for us.

It really sounds like he needs something for the thrush.

My husband didnt like the pain patch at first until one day he asked me why he felt so funny and I said "your just HIGH". That easy answer got him thru the initial feelings and now the patch keeps him balanced and energized.

Thinking and praying for you both,
CRAY

Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

I have also used the fentenayl patch for a back problem and the results were great. You don't have the ups and downs as with other pain pills. It takes a few days to get used to it but then you just feel normal (without pain). When I first tried it I felt like someone had knocked the breath out of me but that went away within a few days. I think they may have started me out on to higher dose than I needed, or maybe not. If you do use the pain patch it is very important to have the person who is doing it to read directions well. They have an excellent we site also. Wishing you all the best, Angel

SCC left tonsil, tonsillectomy with additional tissue removed 06/10/08, a few teeth on top left side removed 09/05/08,recurrence before treatment started at BOT and tonsil area, 35 IMRT treatments began 10/15/08, and Cisplatin IV (began10/16/08) weekly for duration of radiation.
Rett Offline OP
OP Offline

I want to thank everyone who had responded to my posts. My dad is doing a little bit better than how he was over the weekend. He stopped throwing up!!!!! We now think it may have been the stomach flu (keeping fingers crossed).
We asked about the patch and they said to give him tylenol 3 instead. His bottom lip has gotten very swollen since beginning radiation and we're not sure if he is maybe allergic to something they put in his mouth during radiation. The doctors said that the radiation is not going near his lip, so they don't think it is from the radiation. My sister read that the codeine may cause allergic reactions as well, we're not sure.
He also is getting large amounts of phlegm. Anyone have any good tips on helping with the phlegm? He doesn't really drink anything yet, though I do manage to get him to eat some ice chips. Can't wait to have him finish radiation.

Last edited by Rett; 10-15-2008 06:27 PM.

Rett
Father 80 y/o with BOT Stage IV/ SCC, laser surgery to remove tumor 8/08, Hemi glossectomy, reconstructed tongue, right side neck dissection, RT began 10-8-08, chemo not recommended because of age, Peg tube, non smoker/drinker.
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Rett
if your dad doesnt drink,he will be in real trouble soon.Dehydration is serious in anyone,let alone someone who is sick and older.His blood chemistry will be all over the place,leading to confusion,kidney problems,constipation,to name but a few.To monitor his fluid intake and out put,keep a chart,and measure how much he drinks and how much he pees ,then take it with you to your next doctors visit.
The phlegm is a nightmare,and a common problem much debated on these boards.Use the forum search engine to get advice on this.

liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I don't understand your statement, "something that they put in his mouth during radiation"?

The phlegm usually doesn't start to be a problem this soon, even close to this soon so you need to have him seen and be sure to write ALL his problems down and make sure their ALL addressed.

Re Liz' comments on the hydration....HEED THEM WITHOUT HESITATION. Force him if need be. His body is under severe attack, not only by the cancer but it's barbaric treatment and he needs a minimum of 48ozs of water and 3000 calories EACH and EVERY DAY from now until at least 1 year POST Tx. Failure to do so will only make matters worse and in some cases near fatally worse. I know from painful experience.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Rett,

I had good results from Robitussen for thinning the phlegm. Buy the generic and it can go right down the PEG tube. And staying hydrated really helped as well.

Sounds like your Dad is having a really rough time! My heart goes out to him and to your family.

- Margaret

Stage IV SCC lt lateral tongue, surgery 5/19/08 (partial gloss/upper neck dissection left side/radial free flap reconstruction) IMRT w/weekly Cisplatin & Erbitux 6/30/08, PEG 1 6/12/08 - out 7/14 (in abdominal wall, not stomach), PEG 2 7/23/08 - out 11/20/08, Tx done 8/18/08
Second SCC tumor, Stage 1, rt mobile tongue, removed 10/18/2016, right neck dissection 12/9/2016
Third SCC tumor, diagnosed, 4/19/2108, rt submandibular mass, HPV-, IMRT w/ weekly Cisplatin, 5/9 - 6/25/2018, PEG 3 5/31/2018
Rett Offline OP
OP Offline

David- I guess it's tongue depressor they are putting in his mouth, so I don't think that should be causing any problems. I guess that keeps his tongue down during radiation. My sister started giving him clariton and that seems to have helped a tiny bit on reducing the swelling on his bottom tongue. We are scheduling a swallow study for him this week, even though the RO told him to start swallowing. He's such a chicken and stubborn on top of it!!! He has swallowed a sip of water and a sip of sprite but then got nervous because he hadn't cleared it with his doctor. Radiation # 9 tomorrow.

Rett
Father 80 y/o with BOT Stage IV/ SCC, laser surgery to remove tumor 8/08, Hemi glossectomy, reconstructed tongue, right side neck dissection, RT began 10-8-08, chemo not recommended because of age, Peg tube, non smoker/drinker.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

You've got to keep him swallowing or it may very well cause him a lifetime of problems. I also assume that she has his doctor's approval on anything she is giving him?

David

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users