Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Karen...

I am also quite new to this site diagnosed Mid July with oral cancer still waiting for more information and surgery (Sept 8). It's the waiting that is difficult and the recovery the fight but with a strong emotional and mental states from what I have read makes it easier. Your husband seems to have a head start on that one!!

That being said I know you two will win this battle. I think I am more like you. You will take wonderful care of him and he will be great!!! Best wishes for the 26th

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY

Karen,
I has most of my lower rt manadible removed July 27, 2005 with a neck disection and no radiation or chem. I elected to wait to see if reconstruction would be necessary. My doctor told me that because of my physical structure (round face, very short neck) it probably would not be very noticable. He was right. I sat for a portrait class and those students who did not know I had the surgery did not realize it.
I am happy that I did not have the surgery then because I would have been in one of the hospitals which was not able to evacuate patients after the levves broke following Katrina. 3 years later, I am eating almost everything but some things more carefully. I can even handle corn on the cob - but not in public.
My dentist is now recommending it because my bite is shifting. I can use my front two teeth for nibbling and biting and chew on two on the left side. These are the only teeth that meet.
I would be happy to speak to your husband or you and am going to PM my cell # as I am leaving Tuesday AM on Amtrak to NY and am leaving there the afternoon of your husband's surgery. THe phones work on most of the Amtrak route so feel free to call.
Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users