Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#77850 08-01-2008 12:40 AM
marma Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Does IMRT work best when altered fractionation is used? a radiation oncologist we met with today said that with IMRT altered fractionation is unnecessary, which struck me as questionable. He also said altered fractionation is not useful in treating tongue lesions.

Last edited by marma; 08-01-2008 01:01 AM.

FIL completed treatment 10/08. CG to father in Law in india who had SCC oral tongue T2N2M0. FIL underwent surgery, neck dissection, IMRT, and erbitux without losing weight or getting nauseated. Completed October 2008. SO far so good.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Here is a whitepaper from Adam S. Garden, MD
Associate Professor of Radiation Oncology, Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas that discusses this very item.

http://www.cancernetwork.com/head-and-neck-cancer/article/10165/96653

Kevin

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking

Keep in mind that this article is from 2001, and much has been done since, and many studies are underway.

One of the schools of thought is that IMRT, as applied in many institutions, with boost therapy, is effectively incorporating the concepts that underlie hyperfractionation regimes, as it maximizes radiation delivery to targeted tissues, and minimizes delivery to normal, non-target tissues, reducing toxicity and maximizing efficacy. Studies are underway to confirm this.

The situation is complicated by the fact that other advancements have come into play at the same time, such as simultaneous chemotherapy and the monoclonal therapies, such as Erbitux. Lots of studies underway designed to see how each advance plays into the overall picture.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!

From what I understand, unless the radiation plans (points of irradiation) are changed, hyperfractionation does not change the target volumes irradiated (or relative radiation distribution healthy vs normal tissue).
What is different is how tissue reacts to dose per fraction and total dose (which in this case may be slightly higher).

In normal IMRT you get irradiated once a day if hyperfractionation is used this goes to 2 time a day which is probably a practical limit, unless you want to camp at the facility. This is effect means that the IMRT can only to 50% of the patients, which you might be able to do if there is sufficient capacity and this may become more possible as more IMRT come on line.
Following this though:
Since you are using essentially twice the machine and personnel time does that mean that hyperfractionation is twice as expensive? ( doubt that they carge by the photon).

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
marma Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, What I am tryng to figure out is, is it worth 3-4 hours of driving per day to go to the clinic further away with hyperfractionation?

FIL completed treatment 10/08. CG to father in Law in india who had SCC oral tongue T2N2M0. FIL underwent surgery, neck dissection, IMRT, and erbitux without losing weight or getting nauseated. Completed October 2008. SO far so good.

Marma,

My husband had hyperfractionated rads. In laymen's terms, his RO suggested that in his studies, it gave us a little better chance at 5 year survival..10 to 20%. Since Bill decided to take as aggressive a stance with his treatment as possible, he opted for it. We live within 10 miles of the treatment facility so driving was not as much of a problem but I will say that twice a day was still hard.

If you opt for this, could you not set up a temporary living situation while undergoing treatment. I definitely know that toward the end of treatment, it will be very rough on your FIL as well as his caregivers because along with all the driving you will be faced with feedings and fluids and meds and a very sick patient. It can be done, but it will be very tough.

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

This technique was heavily favored PRIOR to IMRT radiation. I had it 10 years ago, and it was cutting edge at that time. IMRT changed many things. I hope that GARY will chime in here since this is his area of expertise, but my understanding is that fractionated radiation is less of a benefit in IMRT than it used to be in the past. I have an good source for an informed opinion from MDACC, but I will not be able to call them until Monday. However there are papers since this 2001 that look at SMART techniques which appear to have benefit. Simultaneous modulated accelerated radiation therapy, may indeed be the next incarnation of IMRT therapy where fractionation shows value and becomes the standard.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Thanks Brian and all you experts for chiming in on this...I was very hesitant to say anything with my lack of expertise or knowledge on this. Bill's RO did not push the hyperfractionated treatment..he gave it as an option and explained that one of his colleagues told him never to do "that" to someone. The RO also explained that he would not follow the course unless Bill had a PEG tube. He was cautious to give us all the facts...at least the ones that he thought we could understand.

I feel like we made a fairly informed decision and Bill did very well with his treatments so we are glad we opted and hope in the long run, it was worth it. So far, so good.

Re the cost...I don't know what a normal radiation treatment plan costs having never gone thru it. I will say that we (the insurance co.) were charged for each treatment...in other words billed for 2 treatments each day X $1566(that is just for the rads/no doctor charges) so over $3000 for each day of treatment. I am an insurance freak so I check these things..actual total payments (just for the radiation) from both insurance(in network agreed upon charges) and us personally was about $75,000 shocked .
Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

they are giving me twice a day radiation on fridays

Tonsil into base of tongue 3to4cm tumor. Giant lemon sized 9cm lymphnode. Squamos cell carcinoma
April 5 diagnosed. June 5 started treatment. Cetuximab Carboplatin Paclitaxel once a week for 6 weeks.Then 7 weeks of radiation plus chemo cisplatin then 4 weeks rest then neck disection was Nov 7 2008
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

As other have posted earlier in this thread this modality is aimed at reducing toxicity and maximizing efficiency of the radiation. In the days before IMRT I can only say that it was a difficult regime, but I am still here today, and perhaps this choice my docs made, was the determining factor. But I can remember that in the second half of the treatments - when the sessions were doubled up - that it was physically demanding. (Thank God for morphine) IMRT would reduce some of that. I would not let geography dictate choices. I will do my best to get you some kind of science based answer of value on Monday if I can reach the doctor. At the end of the day though, you have to consider no one that has published on this has mentioned reasons NOT to do it, such as toxicity, or other long term issues.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users