Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
nervous Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

thank you sooo much jerry, will be emailing you NOW : )

ameloblastoma, upcoming total maxillectomy
nervous Offline OP
OP Offline

AWESOME DAY - HORRAY!
DID GET MY APT WITH THE LONG AWAITED SURGEON I HAVE BEEN SEEKING (many of you know who i am talking about!) After much contemplation and stressing I emailed like the best letter of my lifetime to a different assistant than whom i have been calling (and getting nowhere). It was a GREAT letter, even with some added flattery (but of course) what do they say, catch more flies with sugar (mmmm, something like that) couple of hours later his assistant calls and immediately puts me on the line with HIM! he gave me i suppose a lame explanation regarding "conflict of interest as we are related", which was all like i said lame. face it, out of common courtesy, could have easily just refered me to one his collegues in ontarhio WEEKS AGO! a few minutes later, sort of flustery like, he stated he was putting me back thru to his assistant and to tell her he wants to see me. i thanked her of course for forwarding my email to him and she stated that she was not sure what happened, felt it was unexcuseable and was scheduling me asap. SO IT IS THIS WEDNESDAY MORNING! i am SOOO RELIEVED! i was just feeling very ill at ease with my surgeon (especially this week when he agreed that maxillectomys are handled much more regularly in the other dept). i also did not like that i asked him if i needed another CT to check for new growth, as it is over a 2 month period from first one to surgery date. he stated yes and wrote the script, BUT I KNOW that if i hadn't said it, he wouldn't have ordered it... in any case, whether second-cousin once removed, top 10 doc guy does it or not, i know i will be getting a very good and much warranted second opinion - finally....
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR EMAILS AND SUGGESTIONS (especially WILCKDDS, it was a pleasure talking to you this evening : ) off to get the kiddies to bed (and me too, at least smiling a little this time : ) marieka

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Marieka,
Your news is awesome!! You should be proud of yourself for being your own best advocate and speaking up for yourself. It takes a lot of sugar to make fudge but, it works a lot better than vinegar.
I am happy to see that you are much more upbeat and positive than in previous posts.
Have a great weekend!! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

You keep saying this guy is the top 10 doc, but the question is 'top 10 in what'. I believe it may be laser surgery since he was only 1 or 2 in the country that did it on the larynx back in 2001 when I met him. This is not the surgery you are looking for. You want him to refer you to the top notch surgeon in that hospital who does the surgery you need and I'm not certain your cousin does. You also want his opinion of the guy in the dental dept just in case you don't like the one in otorhino. Usually they can get you in for at least a brief consult with the other doctor while you are there, but since your appointment is on a Weds, the other guy very well may be in surgery. Most appts are on Monday or Thursday there.

Good luck on Weds. and take your list of questions and make certain to get a referral if need be.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Mareika,

Good luck on Wednesday. I look forweard to hearing about what you find out.

I called Fox Chase this morning and left a message leaving it open ended as to whether you might call them.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
nervous Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks GERRY and everyone! will post again wednesday!
marieka

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I have been lurking around reading your posts Marieka ... I just wanted to wish you all the best for Wednesday.
You have a fantastic attitude which is going to be a blessing and will help you through the coming months.
Take Care
Marica

Caregiver to husband (Pete) Stage IV Base of Tongue. Dx 04 2003 Chemo/Radiation no surgery.. doing great!

Dear Marieka...I just wanted you to know that many of us have you in our prayers today, hoping that you get answers and a direction that you are comfortable with. I will check later, hoping that you have posted.

XO--Colleen

PS--Marica is soso right....Your spunk and your attitude and our energy and your sense of humor are going to help you tremendously in the journey ahead. Believe me, you will come out fine, changed, but fine. After all, what is life but one change after another??

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
nervous Offline OP
OP Offline

HI ALL! TODAY WENT GREAT!!!! he WILL be doing the surgery (2nd cous guy most of you know) on July 14th. i cannot begin to tell you how relieved we are and from what we learned today my reservations about my first surgeon were certainly justified. i was right that i need a re-scan (and should not have had to ask) to check for the new growth and will now be having both a CT and MRI the week before. during the consult today he had a radiologist come in to review my last CT with all of us. he was hoping to perhaps risk some of the 1/2 margin to save more of the sinus support but unfortunately the tumor is right on the midline (got happy there for a moment). however, the MRI will reveal a different spin on it and there may be a chance to save some of the bone behind the area. this was never considered before and obviously, even if it is not possible, it is great that it is least being investigated. the entire time everyone was real "careful" not to "name" anyone, but then he started talking about the "skin graph". lance and i were like, WHAT SKIN GRAPH??? he was at this point VERY SURPRISED, explaining that it was part of the protocal. even added that he was going to speak with him because not only was i not properly consulted, but wanted to make sure that the first surgeon planned on doing the graph at all! i, as you all know, was already plenty concerned after last weeks apt, that was pretty much upgraded to alarmed at that point. mostly just incrediably glad i went with my gut. of course he could still be a very very good surgeon, but our impression still remains that it is not often done by him, nor done as often in his dept. so anyhow, we left feeling relieved. he was incrediably thorough and surprisingly personable, compassionate and even funny! yes, not what i expected. who knows, maybe i got him on a good day, he certainly made mine better. it was worth the fight to get in and worth the wait. funny, the reality of the surgery itself kinda hit us right back on the way home. the distraction was nice while it lasted. but at least i feel much more comfortable now with my care, which is a whole lot better than last week : ) THANKS ALL FOR ALL YOUR PRAYERS AND HOPES TODAY, I BELIEVE THEY FOUND THEIR WAY TO PHILLY!!!
talk soon, hugs, marieka

Marieka,

I am happy to see that everything went so well for you today. Still don't understand his reluctance to see you from the get go, but I believe that he is a little quirky. He runs hot and cold. In any case, I have heard nothing but good things about his surgical skills.

My prayers didn't have too far to go from Lower Bucks to Philly.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users