Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Brian Hill #71758 03-21-2008 02:00 PM
bw008 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everybody... Frank, what were the symptoms of your metastisized tonsil? Was it just lumpy or were there growths on it?

My lymph nodes feel swollen to me, not a lot just a little... but all the doctors say they feel normal... also the lymph glands in my mouth feel bigger, at first I thought they were warts or something cuz I can feel bumps with my tongue but I went to the ENT back in 2000 and he said they were just glands and they were fine.

Like you say, Brian, you can feel a wart... so isn't it possible to feel it forming... I think I read somewhere that you might feel tingling with warts... I'm feeling it in my ears now too which is really freaking me out.

Well thanks again, I will be praying for you too Frank, I will pray for all of us. My biopsy results weren't in today, I have to wait 'til Monday.

bw008 #71761 03-21-2008 03:15 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

The virus versions that cause visible, palpable warts do not cause cancer. Tonsils do not metastasize, the cancer cells in them do. Tonsil tissue is not smooth by nature, the tosillar crypt, is actually convoluted with folds and crevices in it. You should be able to feel your lymph nodes when they are normal, and they are not a uniform size in all people. Nodes that have become involved in the cancer process are firm/hard, fixated in place, (you can't push them around), and painless.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Brian Hill #71782 03-22-2008 04:41 AM
bw008 Offline OP
OP Offline

Has anyone here had cancer on their uvula? What does it look like? I was looking in my mouth again and I think the doctor might have missed a spot... below the area he biopsied it looks like there's another bump. Maybe it's apart of the area and just looks different...? I don't know.

Yeah my gynocologist told me that the HPV viruses that cause warts don't cause cancer, but it's possible to be infected with more than one strand.

My lymph nodes are hard, firm and fixated. I have noticed 2 moles on my breasts that I haven't seen before and they are red and irregular in shape... isn't that a symptom of cancer? Or is that skin cancer only? Is it uncommon to have both oral cancer and skin cancer? Sorry if I'm annoying you guys.

Also, I've been having bad breath lately, and gum isn't helping like it used to. I read that bad breath is a symptom of mouth cancer. And my uvula is not healed... the doctor said my throat would be sore for a couple days. A couple is two, it's been like 4 days. I remember reading that another symptom of cancer is a sore in the mouth that doesn't heal... I should call and ask about that but they aren't open on weekends.

bw008 #71801 03-22-2008 04:39 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Holy Cow!! Slow down. Take a breath. You are going from strains of HPV you don't know you have, an area on your uvula right next to where a trained professional was looking and biopsying tissue, to moles on your breasts, to bad breath, 4 days of sore throat (a cold normally lasts at least 7 days).... The doctors have felt the nodes you are concerned with and say they feel normal. You are overreaching here and clearly reading too much into everything that seems slightly out of the ordinary. Hold it together until your reports come back and you are sure you actually have something. You are going to put yourself in the mental ward. I don't mean to be unsympathetic, as we all get scared of stuff that seems to be going wrong, but you need to hold it together until someone definitely tells you there is a problem.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Brian Hill #71809 03-22-2008 06:52 PM
bw008 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for your advice... I think I just try to prepare myself for the worst.

But yeah, it looked like two bumps on my uvula but when I went to the doc I only referred to it as one... why, I don't know, but I figure if he saw one he saw the other. One of them is gone but the other is still there... oh well I guess if this biopsy shows something dangerous I'll just have to get the other one removed also... or have my entire uvula removed.

A cold normally lasts 7 days, sure, but that doesn't really have anything to do with this biopsied area healing does it?

What exactly is the difference between HPV and cancer besides the fact that HPV is caused by a virus and cancer isn't? They both cause out of control growth of cells...but what exactly is the difference between a wart and a tumor?

I'm really worried about my ears, a symptom of throat cancer is an earache... but maybe HPV would cause the same symptom... but maybe it's just as dangerous... I'm scared I'll go deaf.

Also... I have the same symptoms as some other people that posted on this site... these people for some reason never posted what was wrong with them, they just disappeared. Well I will definitely let you guys know what my diagnosis is, I can't understand why the others didn't.

bw008 #71812 03-22-2008 07:09 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

HPV isn't cancer. HPV is a virus.

I made the comment about the 7 days for the cold virus because you are worried about something that you have only had for four days! Not even as long as a cold and your thoughts are going to something deadly... This isn't a reasonable train of thought.

You really need to read more about these things before you post. This forum, and the posters here, are certainly willing to try to help, but you are making statements that are completely unreasonable, they are fears not based in how biology or the symptoms of all this work. Given these fears, perhaps you should find someone to see that can help you work through your fear issues. That might help you a great deal to keep a balanced perspective.

Others that have finally determined that they don't have oral cancers, have moved on. The board after all, is a forum for people with the disease and their caregivers.

Brian Hill #72333 04-02-2008 02:06 PM
bw008 Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok, so my results came back benign... for cancer and HPV. And so the search continues... for the cause of my lumpy throat. Thanks everyone for your support.

bw008 #72356 04-03-2008 01:20 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Good luck and we hope we never hear from you again on this site if you get my point.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #72360 04-03-2008 02:57 AM

Please get some help for your hypochondria while you are at it...
I am closing this thread.

Last edited by Gary; 04-03-2008 09:32 PM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics