Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I think that possibly since your employer is providing health insurance, that he is worried about his rates going up since you have had a major medical problem. Don't give into to this. If you are still eligible for the medical coverage with the shorter hours and he won't give you the hours you need, can you find work at another restarant or some other place to cover the addtitional hours you need? Sounds like he is being a prick to a long term employee.
Keep smiling, keep your insurance and don't give him any excuse to let you go.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Yes, I could find another part-time job, but with a surgery possibly hanging over my head it's a bad time to convince a new employer to take me on.
Yes, Ann Marie--'this too shall pass'.
I guess I am thinking people should be nice to me because I had the big "C". Bwahahahaha.

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.

How about a temp agency? They can work around your surgery and your first job. Temp agencies can be very understanding, too, about your circumstances with your present job. And people should be nice to you because you are a nice person! But, you know sometimes there are people that are just no d*** good! You just have to try to not let them get to you.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Temp agancy is a good idea, but sadly----I have no job skills!!!
Just a good personality--which can take you far as a waitress, but not sure what else I can do with that!

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.

I didn't realize you were facing the possibility of more surgery. Does your employer know that? Maybe he doesn't want to give you more hours now because he doesn't want to be left shorthanded if you need more surgery. Other than hours, is he treating you differently than before you had cancer? Maybe once your treatment plan settles down, he will be more willing to give you more time. Like I said, keep smiling, keep his customers happy and keep the insurance.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I'll say it again as a manager of people for almost my entire working life, you really need to try to sit down with him in a calm environment, say after hours or at least when the restaurant is closed, and just be open with him and basically just ask him all your questions and concerns in a non confrontational way. He didn't want you to work for him all these years for nothing so he might have a side worth hearing. Many managers make employee decisions out of ignorance and/or fears which is why letting him hear your side might be beneficial to the both of you.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Is it at all possible your employer decreased your work hours because he cares about not over-working you and that he really cares about your health? Also - I have to disagree with the "no job skills" part of your comment. It takes a lot of "people"skills (psychology, organization, responsibility) to be a waitress and remember who gets what and when, especially when most people tend to get a little grouchy when they are hungry! I worked for a temp agency for a while as a favor to my ex-daughter-in-law who was having trouble finding people. One of my jobs was to go to the airport, sit in a big room with about 12 other people, reading magazine/books, etc while waiting to be called up and have lotion spread on my hands while someone else took notes. A couple of the days I didn't get "called on" at all and just brought me a book to read and I got paid for the full day at $10/hr. There are lots of "people skill jobs" (receptionist, phone answering, delivery) and I'm sure a temp agency could list lots more.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Anne-Marie,
I agree that it is best to be open with your boss. The treatment you are experiencing is not consistant with the past relationship you have had. It may help for you to have a "rehearsal" conversation and go over several possible conversations and your reactions. Make a list of your concerns and what your answers would be to any of the issues raised in this forum.
My brother and his family are "secret shoppers." They pick what they will do when. This may be something you could do even if your boss ups your hours.
Paying for your success,
Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thank you all for your empathy and thoughtful replies.
Anne-Marie---LOL the airport-hand lotion gig sounds pretty good!!
Malka--I like the secret shopper idea!

What transpired today at the restaurant was Mr. Boss pulled me and a co-worker aside wanting to know what our future intentions were with the restaurant. Were we moving on, or sticking around for a few more years?( almost everyone at the restaurant is a long-term employee) They had plans, and wanted to know who the could rely on. So of course, with the subject being broached I jumped in with "What are your intentions regarding me?" Mr. Boss got indignent that I should even have to ask, and I described what I thought was going on. He called Mrs. Boss over and we had a sit down and I expressed how I felt, and that yes, I was looking at other restaurants since I was only working 2 shifts. I feel as though we worked some things out and I can expect more shifts, they will work around my doctor appointments and are going to let the new girl go. I feel much better now after the airing out session, and Mrs. Boss realizes I know she was discouraging extra hours for me--she has changed her tune.

The 64 dollar question here is that he IS keeping you on, although reduced hours and paying your health benefits. You have a pre-existing condition and can "COBRA" out to about 36 months (and it can be expensive). Technically with only 2 shifts you are part time and not eligible for health insurance coverage in many states. If it were me I would tread very lightly here. There could be other factors that are beyond your control - maybe it awakened his own sense of mortality and it scares him. Scheduling shifts in restaurants is also a tough part of the business. You will have to prove yourself, lip service may not be enough.

It took several years before I felt like a true survivor and people treated me like one. Instead of endlessly asking me "How ARE you?".

I would be careful about alienating customers, or even talking about your cancer experience. Look at the things that you have and put less emphasis on the things you don't have. Restaurants are ALWAYS looking for waitstaff you can get a few shifts somewhere else if need be.

How does anybody know that you have HPV? The CDC states it is a sexually transmitted disease so what would the danger be to customers in a normal working environment?

I have HCV myself and it hasn't stopped any opportunities for me.

Last edited by Gary; 02-14-2008 04:51 PM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users
Forum Statistics