Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#69094 02-01-2008 09:33 AM
Kavita Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello, I am new here. I just found out yesterday that my dad has oral cancer. He is in India. He is going in for surgery on Monday after which they will determine whether it has spread to his lymph nodes. According to the doctor, the cancer is in its initial stages and "completely curable". I am not completely sure of that internally...I don't know how he can be so sure. I am really a mess right now and have been reading so much about this. The cancer started with sores on his inner cheek. He has a biopsy two years ago which showed no cancer. I don't understand how the doctor can say what stage its in with just a biopsy...doesn't he need a CT scan or MRI...or are lab reports enough? please help..I have so many questions...thank you.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I think you should get your Dad to a Comrehensive Cancer Center.. They should know exactly what and how to do there. You and your dad are in my prayers. Good luck and keep posting.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Hi Kavita,
A good place to start and get a lot of valuable information is in the "Getting Through It Project" section under the subject "Draft copy."

Here is a link to it (I hope this link works)

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/board_images/GTI_draft.pdf

Tom
SCC T4N1M0 left side tongue & 1 node
Dx 05/21/07 42 yrs old
40 Tx IMRT @ 70 Gy started 06/25/07
Cysplatin & 5fu 1st & 4th wks
treatment ended 08/23/07
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Kavita --

For a basic overview, start with the main Oral Cancer Foundation site. There are links from the home page on diagnosis (including tests), treatment, staging, etc. That will give you good information to serve as a starting point for e-mails or telephone conversations with your dad and his doctors. You can, of course, ask anything on these pages, and someone should have the answer.

In addition, there have been several posters here with family members treated in India. If you search for India in the search box in the upper right of each forum page, you'll find most of them. You can read their experiences, then go to their profiles and send them e-mails with any specific questions about their relative's treatment.

I know it must be difficult being so far away at this time. Good for you for wanting to learn all you can to help your dad.

All the best,

Leslie

Last edited by Leslie B; 02-01-2008 12:42 PM.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Kavita Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all so much! I will follow all your advice and thatnk you for all the tips...it is all so sudden and I am trying to make sense of it all. My sister has just flown to India to be there for the surgery. I will keep posting..

Dad had scc inner cheek, mod rad diss, 24 rad, 2 chemos, 2 blood and platelet transfusions...praying that CT scan comes clear..

Kavita,
He should have a CT scan (typically given for radiation treatment planning purposes) perhaps an MRI as well, a PET or PET/CT and numerous bloodtests, including, but not limited to a baseline TSH (if radiation is indicated) and creatinine clearance if he is going to have chemo. A baseline audiology test is also common when platinol chemo drugs are indicated. Some of these tests require fasting for 12 hours so be sure to get clear instructions from the doctor. He should have a chest x-ray, a panorex x-ray of his teeth and a dental clearance exam. All of these tests should be performed before start of treatment.

If they remove "sentinel" lymph nodes (which they will biopsy in pathology) they may upgrade his staging if cancer cells are found in them, other then that the staging is determined by the size of the mass and if there is lymph node involvement. If there are "adverse" features discovered, like a positive lymph node then he may get radiation therapy and chemo as well. Remember also that they can feel (palpate)a lymph node larger than 1 cm.

It sounds to me like they have been watching this closely and they are indeed catching it at an early stage. Take a deep breath.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

My Rad Dr told me that mine was completely curable. On my way to see him for the first time I saw a billboard that said Trust God and before thinking about it I shouted I do. Well I put my trust in my Dr as well and I still don't understand what stage I had but I had no surgeries and no Chemo. 33 radiation treatments and he said it was gone. Now as with the rest of us we have to watch for it but tell you and your dad to read everything and ASK questions about everything. Write them down so you won't forget. My sister is a RN and a patient advocate so when I didn't understand something I would hav eher talk to the Dr and she would explain it to me in my terms. Keeps positive thoughts about you and your dad the same he WILL be ok. Good luck to you and your dad. I will be watching and praying for you as well. And as everyone will tell you take a deep breath then get busy.

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
Kavita Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks so much for your sweet word and kind advice. In India, my dad has gone for a second opinion. The Dr. said that the biopsy was not done cleanly since there were "many fibers still loosely connected" in the mouth. He wanted the results (plates) to send it to his own pathology lab. He disagrees with the first Dr. that surgery (a radial dissection) is needed...more confusion. My dad has a CT scan. Results will be in on Monday afternoon and my dad will try to get the plates( dad thinks the Dr. may not release them!!) from the first Dr. so they can be re-sent to a new lab. The Dr. doesn't feel like the cancer will spread much in a few days so my dad has decided to cancel his surgery for Monday and wait for the second opinion results. I am still trying to get a copy of the biopsy report to make sense of it myself. my sister will get there in 2 hours..so thats some relief.

Thank you for all your support. I feel so much stronger everytime I read your posts..I do trust in God and am trying my best to keep positive. Thank you for your prayers.

Dad had scc inner cheek, mod rad diss, 24 rad, 2 chemos, 2 blood and platelet transfusions...praying that CT scan comes clear..
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

I wish you the best of luck with your father. My cancer was also on the inside of my cheek and top of my mouth. I did not have any surgery just had chemo and radiation. Remember .... everyone is different. I was Satge 1 which was determined after the biopsy and PET scan. My doctor told me I was 100% cureable. My PET scan after my treatments was recently completed and showed no sign of cancer at all. Hang in there. Im glad to hear he is getting more tests and a second opinion before having surgery. I dont know if things are different in India. All the tests Gary told you about need to be done before anything starts. You will find tons of information and support here.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Kavita Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Christine,

It is SO good and encouraging to hear that you are feeling fine. I admire your strength. I have emailed this info to my sister as well so she can make sure the tests are done. The first Dr. was not very happy that my dad went for a second opinion and that he cancelled the surgery with him.
Says alot about his professionalism...

I do believe that your Dad has a right to the results. Heck, I had results from 4 Hospitals all sent to one with no problem.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Kavita,

I found out on New Years Day that my dad has throat cancer - he found out while having a routine tonsilectomy - there was more than 2 tonsils!
He had the surgery there and then followed by a week of chemo, and is now undergoing radiation therapy but is expecting a full recovery.
He never had MRI's or scans, either.

Good luck with your dad - this is a good group of people who will help you immensely.

Mum - sick as a dog, see her sig.
Dad - diagnosed with throat cancer late 2007.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics