Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#6758 01-29-2006 04:13 AM
Luigi Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello everyone,

Is anyone familiar with G. Edward Griffin's book titled "World Without Cancer"? Griffin advocates laetrile treatment--otherwise known as Vitamin B-17. The underlying assumpion behind this treatment, which was developed by Dr. Ernst Krebs, is that cancer derives from a vitamin deficiency.

In his book, Griffin also claims that much of cancer research is politically driven and that there are vested interests in insuring that only conventional cancer treatments be granted legitimacy. In other words, if people were to know that there is a much more effective (and much cheaper) way of treating cancer--it would undermine the multi-billion dollar cancer industry.

I was wondering whether anyone is familiar with laetrile treatment and what they think about it.

regards,
Gino

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Gino,
The Laetril scam has been around since the 50's and is covered extensively on Quackwatch.com

Chuck

SCC Stage IV right tonsil T3N3M0. Dx 08/03. Clinical Trial:8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, SND, Iressa x 2yrs. Now 20 years out and thriving. Dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis now. Add a Bladder cancer diagnosis to all the fun.
It's always something
"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

NO

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Gino, best to stay with the establishment on this one. You are not dealing with a case of bunions here, but a nasty disease that needs a big stick to thump it out of existence. Unfortunately, there are always scams designed to separate vulnerable people from their money. Don't fall victim to one.

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Laetrile was shown to be ineffective decades ago. The only places that still talk about it are some clinics in Mexico and some third world countries where their primary purpose at these facilities seems to be to separate those with no alternatives left for treatment, (and therefore a terminal prognosis) from their money, doing something that has NEVER worked. In spite of the fact that it is useless, in foreign countries where medical care is to a large extent unregulated, charlatans like this can thrive doing not only this but feeding you full of shark cartilage and more... All with the same outcome. You and your family are broke, and your physical outcome will be the same as before you went there.

By the way, just because someone wrote a book, or it apapears ona website....that dosen't make it true. There are enough self published books out there promoting quack ideas about curing illness, dieting, and more, to replace half of our old growth forrests if their pages could be turned back into trees.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Luigi Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses. I had never heard of laetrile until a few days ago. I picked up Griffin's book and immediately questioned its legitimacy, as many of his footnotes consisted of "personal notes" and/or "personal letters." I was simply curious as to what your opinions were.

Your opinions seem to echo a vast literature devoted to debunking laetrile, much of which one can find in scholarly databases that I happen have access to. Nonetheless, there are quite a few folks out there who swear laetrile treatment has cured them--something I find rather curious.

Brian, I'm quite familiar with the publishing industry and agree that there's a lot of crap out there.

best,
Gino

It's right up there with pixie dust and the tooth fairy. That's just the tip of the iceberg in bogus cancer cures out there...

The first amendment gives the right to publish whatever crap they want.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Try chasing down one of those people that claims a cure... it's an exercise that has been done before. Almost impossible to find them and most are probably made up. I also access major medical databases as a matter of routine, and I can't find one documented cure for this stuff. Like I said, you can say anything you want in print or on the web, but the peer reveiw process eventually weeds out the bogus stuff. It's too bad that it lives on in the realm of media that people who don't know how to do good research about something will find. It's a disservice to the public, and I think that this crap ( and much more that falls into this same bogus take your money for some promises realm) should be criminal and not allowed to be still out there for people to stumble on. Of course then we'd be stepping on someones first amendment rights to say what they believe, even if it is horseshit.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

My first cousin went to Mexico for Laetrile treatments after he was diagnosed as terminal. They did nothing except, like Brian said, separate him from a large chunk of his money. He died over 12 years ago.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

The laetrile scam is a good one. People with bad diagnoses really want to believe in the magic of nature, or of something from the sea, or some newly discovered miracle. We just aren't there yet with cancer treatment. Perhaps one day, but not today, and not with laetrile. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics