Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi everyone. I am here to gain any and all information that I can to help my Dad who was recently diagnosed. He began radiation treatments yesterday, as well as the chemo pill. It is really for my Mom that I am here... she is suffering so. My Dad is basically in denial and won't do anything the Dr's are suggesting for him, and is making my Mom's life a living hell. He is 63. It is hard for me too, as the only child, I am 2 hours away and feel helpless. I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you in advance. I was referred to this site by a member and heard fantastic things! smile

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

This meanness and the denial are a part of OC. I have done it as many others on here have. It cost me a relationship. You have to try your best to understand what your dad is going thru both mentally and physically. With me it lasted a coupls of months but it seems I couldn't control it. I am sure you will get much help from this forum and most will give you good advice. Just don't jump ship and give up on him . Try to understand his feelings .For now, just grin and bear it..

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

You need to tell us more about what type of cancer he has, what stage, any operations, etc, etc. Look at everyone's signature line which is updated in your profile foe helpful examples of what to post.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
EzJim #67329 01-11-2008 07:29 PM
OP Offline

Jim,
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear about the relationship you lost. I cannot even imagine what it is like to go through this entire ordeal. My hope is that Dad will come around eventually, but I knew that by coming here and talking to those who have gone through it, I might be able to get through to him a bit more with REAL LIFE experiences, not just Doctors telling him "you have to do this."

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you again for responding! smile

Dad: Age 65 Heavy smoker/drinker. Biopsy-No surgery. Cancer base of tongue/throat. "Invasive Squamous Carcinoma RRT" --Beginning 1/9/08: IMRT treatments (5X/wk),chemo pills (4/day) and Chemo IV (once/wk) PEG tube inserted 1/25/08. Treatments ended 2/26/08

JUNE 30, 2008 Officially CANCER FREE!!!
OP Offline

Thank you, I just updated my profile! smile

Dad: Age 65 Heavy smoker/drinker. Biopsy-No surgery. Cancer base of tongue/throat. "Invasive Squamous Carcinoma RRT" --Beginning 1/9/08: IMRT treatments (5X/wk),chemo pills (4/day) and Chemo IV (once/wk) PEG tube inserted 1/25/08. Treatments ended 2/26/08

Maybe the "I don't need to do that attitude" is just an attempt for some measure of control over a so difficult situation (which we all need to have if we are going to be able to fight the cancer beast). When my son was starting his treatment, I would ask him things like "Do you want to drive to the hospital or shall I?" Or "Do you want a strawberry milkshake or vanilla?" Even McD's gives you a choice with "Do you want fries with that?" I know what helped me as a CG was the control I found in dealing with phone calls, appointments, making spread sheets and especially, coming here for the strength and compassion I found.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

If you haven't already, I may have missed a post, maybe you could let us know what your father's diagnosis is, the stage of the cancer and the current treatment he is recieving.
Denial, fear, anger, depression and introversion unfortunatly are some of the emotions that accompany OC. It is hard for everyone around to watch a loved one withdraw and suffer through them as well. You will also go through many emotions. Try not to let this get you down. Let your father know you love and support him. He'll probably aprreciate it and will eventually want to talk to you about what he is experiencing.
You are doing the right thing by seeking out information and helping. He is lucky to such a loving daughter.
Hang in there and continue to seek out information.
My prayers are with you and your father.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.

Larry's-daughter,, If I didn't come here, I would never have known what I was doing to people. These great people helped me by making me go do what Barb had told me to do. Get that 2nd opinion and showed me what I was going thru so I would understand... Without them all I would have just suffered the consequences of OC.. They are all so caring and understanding. I need them for this 2nd go around in my corner too . You will grow to love them like family.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Ez Jim,
You are so right. I'm thankful I found this site and am able to participate as part of this family. I have learned much more from all of these compassionate people than I could ever contibute both personally and professionally. When I have down days, 10 years later I still get them, I come to the site and read threads to help lift my spirits.
LarrysDaughter we are all in your corner.
Ez Jim I hope you are doing well, your are in my prayers.

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
OP Offline

Dr Mike,
Thank you very much for you kind and inspiring words. I updated my signature with his info too. smile

My husband would listen to what Cancer Clinic staff recommended, try it once, maybe, and then declare that "it doesn't work" or "I don't like it" and go on his way which likely caused him more suffering than was necessary. He became very depressed and withdrawn, spending the last year mostly lying in bed trying to sleep through it all. Initially I was very upset and even angry with his attitude but eventually decided that in order to preserve my own sanity I would back off. I would gently encourage him to try things, reinforce the reasons he was asked to do them. When he didn't comply I just let it go as it was not helpful for him or me to be fighting and angry over it. If you take a look at your father's personality he is likely running true to form in his manner of coping with his illness. My husband has now had a recurrence, is not accepting further treatment, and I think he is as peaceful as he has been since his diagnosis. He is going to die and not have to face life in a manner he does not wish to live. While I am very sorry this is happening I will support him and accept his choices. Good luck to you and your family as you work through this tough time.

Caregiver to husband Dx. Stage 4 SCC of gingiva with 3 nodes pos. Partial mandiblectomy with bone graft from iliac crest Dec. 2006. IMRT x30, Cisplatin x3. Completed Tx. March 15, 2007. Osteonecrosis & removal of graft & plate Oct. 2007. Recurrence of SCC Dec. 2007. Deceased Jan. 17, 2008.
OP Offline

Thank you for your response. I have tears streaming down my cheeks as I read it. I feel for you, I feel for him, and sadly it hits close to home. I will keep you both in my prayers. Thank goodness for this msg board... and the ability to share with each other and TRY to get through this together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users