Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
paolopp Offline OP
OP Offline

hello, my brother had surgery to remove tonsil and throat dissection to remove lymph nodes to one side,including up neck near to ear...chemo + radio therapy, completed June, 2004... now side of neck is very hard to touch and very stiff...anyone have this experience and any ideas to alleviate pain,etc?? thank you

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi! Lots & lots of physical therapy, massage, workout & stretching. Find a good physical therapist who has dealt with this type of "injury" before or who will go the extra mile to find out what needs to be done & then work real hard for your brother. I still have to stretch my own neck out daily, sometimes throughout the day several times, but it does loosen up & not feel so tight. All that scar tissue will loosen up with time & work. Tell him to get with a PT & work real hard & he will see results. Erik

dx 2/11/04 scca bot T3 IU 2B MO poorly differentiated, margins ok, 3/16 modest, jaw split, over half of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - finished chemo & rad treatment 5/20/04
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

My neck is also stiff and my treatment ended in July of 2003. I am quite sure this is something that will be a life long side effect. Like Erik said, PT can help but between the surgery and the radiation our necks will never be or feel the same. I was very upset about it after surgery and for a few months after radiation ended but now I have adjusted to it and just deal with it. I get neck spasms if my neck gets to cold and by the end of a physically busy day, my neck hurts. I cannot turn my head as far to the right as I can to the left and to look straight up I have to pull my shoulders back. Part of life now!
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
paolopp Offline OP
OP Offline

Erik and Minnie, many thanks for getting back so quickly...I have downloaded your replies and will show him.
Another question... do either of you (or anybody else reading this) get large mood swings?...my brother gets into very deep mood swings and causes argument and seems to have become quite intolerant of peoples comments and opinions ... maybe its just him? This is causing me and the rest of the familly much concern!....

"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello paolopp,

I had all of the above after my radical neck dissection and radiation. Stretching and physiotherapy is essential for the neck stiffness.

Mood swings seem to be common after treatment ends. I had the same, banged lots of cupboard doors etc, until my gp prescribed a mild anti-depressant. Sadly, the mood swings hurt our closest supporters, so chemical intervention is welcome.

Your brother is fortunate to have such a caring family.

Love from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Paolopp,
I have two neck dissections and scads of PT. The degree to which he will be restricted will depend somewhat on what the surgeon had to cut and how good he was. I still have stretching problems with the right side of my neck 8 years later but have no problems with the left side 4 years later. Without a PT I would be a mess. Get to a good PT who should be able to help you with this. While they may not be able to get him full range of motion, they should be able to get him mostly pain free.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
paolopp Offline OP
OP Offline

Eileen and Aussie, thank you...much appreciated,and wish you all a Happy Easter, paul

paolopp Offline OP
OP Offline

sorry Aussie, meant to say Helen (from down under I guess?)...

paolopp Offline OP
OP Offline

hi all, just now found forum ''Coping/Anger and fear''...so my bro's mood symptoms are understandable and ''normal'', unfortunately but does explain behaviour!!...
I speak with some understanding of the mental state, as I underwent cancer surgery and treatment also, in 1987...but fortunately it was all less traumatic than throat/neck intervention...and maybe I've forgotten all the heartaches, except when I go for my now 2 yearly checkups, next in 2007...thanks for your comments ...

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

paolopp, my experience was similar to those above. My neck dissection was on the right side and I do stretching exercises to loosen it up during the day. Still have pain in the shoulder, but not too bad, no drugs taken, not even Tylenol. Physical therapy got me started on the right track.

I have found my temper is a little shorter than it used to be and I am not as "diplomatic" as I used to be. If I don't agree with something, I will generally express myself whereas I used to just let things go. That may be part of your brothers issue. And I don't think it is just him. I have been trying to clarify this, but have had difficulty expressing it. But I know what your brother feels and suspect it is similar to my feelings, and maybe others on this site feel similarly. Good luck.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users