Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54314 02-04-2004 05:20 PM
minniea Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

I had a very upseting day today and would be grateful for some advice. I have been seeing a dentist that specializes in radition patients, I am getting implants done. This dentist works very closely with my otolaryncologist. I saw the dentist approx. 2 and a half weeks ago for an exam and he showed no concern over anything he saw in my mouth. I even pointed out an area on my gum that is sore and that I had worried myself over. He said it looked fine. A few days ago he called me and told me to make an appointment with an oral surgeon for a consult for my implants and to get the Hyperbaric O2 treatments scheduled and started. The oral surgeon is the same one that diagnosed me, did my initial biopsy, etc. He's also the one that told me he didn't think I had cancer. I went to see him today and while he was looking in my mouth, kept referring to a letter the dentist had sent to him ahead of time with a treatment plan for me. He told me that the dentist was "concerned with an area behind my back tooth, on my cheek". Then he proceeded to tell me that it was "cheek biting" and didn't need a biopsy. I freaked to say the least. My first question to him was "what are you talking about????". I told him that the dentist had just looked in my mouth a couple weeks ago and expressed no concern to me about anything, yet here I was in his office with him talking biopsies. He showed me the letter from the dentist that had a TX plan for both scenarios, one if the biopsy was negative, one if positive. My otolaryncologist has seen this area and said it was trauma from my teeth. This is the same oto doc that biopsied my tongue when the sore didn't go away in two weeks. In short, I was a bit pissed. The oral surgeon told me that he saw no need for a biopsy, that it was trauma from my teeth biting my cheek. I left there VERY upset and tried ALL day to get my dentist on the phone. I did get my otolaryncologists nurse on the phone and asked her about it all. The dentist and my otolaryncologist work closely together. She said that the dentist would surely have called my oto doc immediately if he thought I had anything to be concerned about. What do any of you make of all this?? I am very disillusioned with this dentist now, the thought that he might not have been straight forward with me is disturbing. If he thought I needed a biopsy why would he let two weeks go by and not express his concern to me. The oral surgeon did make one comment about the dentist, they have known each other for a few years now............he said that the dentist is so meticulous that he will drive you crazy. Any advice??

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#54315 02-04-2004 06:03 PM

Hi Minniea,

I can't tell if you are more upset at your dentist for being thorough and not overly upsetting? Or are you more upset at your oral surgeon for not doing the Biopsy?

You have a history of cancer and therefore being cautious without getting overly excited is probably wise.

Should he have told you of his concern? perhaps. But the fact that he paid close attention to a POSSIBLE problem and passed that concern along to the next DOC is a good thing. It means you are getting pretty good care (in my opinion)

If you can, thank them both for looking out for you. smile And then go kick the shin of some really bad dude. laugh

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#54316 02-04-2004 07:43 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi,
I think I agree with Mark, in that it sounds good that the dentist and the doctor are talking to each other and paying close attention.

I guess as far as advice, I'd suggest mentioning to the dentist that you are confused, or concerned (not angry)why he didn't say anything to you at the time of the appointment 2 weeks ago.

Also, ask if it will go away on its own, and what to watch for, what can you do to help it get better, etc.

It may also be something that the dentist thought about after you were there, are just wanted to get the second expert opinion on.

I've just finished up surgery and radiation treatment and find that I'm too wondering what I need to watch out for as far as changes in my mouth. It does seem hard not to worry about evry little change or fear that something may be overlooked.
michelle

History of leukoplakia <2001-2004. SCC lateral tongue 9/03; left radical neck dissection & hemiglosectomy 10/03, T2-3,N0M0; 28 IMRT radiation completed 12/03. 30 HBO dives Oct-Nov 04 for infections and bone necrosis -mandible.
#54317 02-04-2004 08:55 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Minnie

Sounds like you are goign through the same deal I went through just before Christmas.. Oncologist had been watching a spot on my cheek and finaly convinced my to convince the ENT surgeon to biopsy/remove it. Luckily it was nothing to have been concerned about.

First, take a deep breath and calm down. The Dentist is just being thorough, but probably didn't want to unnecessarily upset you without reason. Or even he may not have thought it was anything at the time of the exam, but may have read or seen somthing afterword that made him have second thoughts about his diagnosis.

Give the dentist a chat and see what he's got to say for himself, just dont' beat him up too bad!! smile
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#54318 02-05-2004 07:01 AM
minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for the replies, your words of wisdom always are a help.
I spoke with my dentist today, finally! I was relentless in calling him I must admit. He felt horrible when I told him what had happened and how upset I had been then he redeemed himself with the following explanation.
He said that the biopsy mentioned in his letter to the oral surgeon did not pertain to anything he saw in my mouth a few weeks ago, it pertained to the back tooth they will be extracting after the HBO treatments. He said it was standard protocol for someone with my history to have a biopsy done after having a tooth extracted. He explained that because the tooth was diseased (periodontal), that he would be negligent NOT to biopsy it. Like he said, what if that one in a million shot happened and the other half of my jaw bone had cancer in the same exact spot? So, while I'm am under anesthesia when they pull these bottom teeth, they will do a biopsy on the far back tooth before they proceed with pulling out any others. He said that he is 99.9% positive that there is no cancer there but that no one can tell me 100%, their in there so why not make it 100% sure. He also told me that if he thought there was cancer there that he would do the biopsy NOW, not 6 weeks from now. So, I feel much better and will probably send him flowers, candy, something..........just haven't figured out what yet. I will say that I HATE how quickly I can slide back into the "looking over the shoulder" type as I have worked so hard on moving beyond that stage.
Take care everyone!
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics