Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
minniea Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

The boards I put together for the walk were something I went back and forth over. Brian and I talked about it and we both worried that it would put a "sad" feeling on the day. When I started getting pictures and material in the mail from people like Rosie, Michelle (Marcy's sister), Brenda (David's husband), etc., I knew without a doubt that the boards needed to be there. These very people were the whole reason FOR the walk, to raise awareness so that we can cut the number of people that suffer, for example, Heather and Marcy's, fate. The people that have passed are still doing work here on earth by educating others with their stories. It's one thing to hear someones sad story. When we see their faces, read parts of their journals, then we really carry their story with us.
There were alot of children that had an oral screening done at the walk, it was cute to watch. What I kept thinking about was that those kids, for the rest of their lives, would now pay attention to something going on in their mouths. They will also pay attention to their loved ones mouths, tell a friend to go to the doctor if a friend complains about an oral problem, etc.
20 years from now, when we are ALL celebrating so many years of good health, we will pat ourselves on the back for cutting the death rates of this cancer by promoting early detection.

Carol, I think the booth at the relay is an awesome idea. I'm going to find out about that in my area. I can send you everything from the boards I made if you like, I stapled it all on so that it could be removed without damage. You can then mount it on boards or put it in a book if you please. Let me know.

I thought I would be a little relieved when the walk was over, it was nerve wracking worrying if it would be a success or not. Now that it's over I kind of miss the suspense of it all! I spent so much time looking forward to and being excited to meet everyone, I just want to do it all over again. When is our reunion for this year going to be and where???
Love,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Minnie,

You can pass the pages of Heather's journal on to anyone who wants to read them. Be advised this is only a select few pages. I did not copy the entire journal. If I ever get my book written, it very well may contain the entire journal. But you will have to pay dearly to read it! LOL! Seriously, I doubt I will ever get it written, but if I would, a nice portion of the proceeds would go to OCF. So I'm sure most of you wouldn't mind paying to read it, right? wink

If the extra shirts can't be sold at the Relay for Life, how about selling them on Ebay or Overstock? There are probably T-shirt collectors out there. I know there are collectors of just about everything else! You could pair each shirt with a pin and state in the auction title that the proceeds go to a charity. That might garner some attention from philanthropists as well as T-shirt enthusiasts.

As long as it would be okay with Brian. I guess we would have to be sure it wouldn't cause any problems for OCF. I don't know what regulations there might be for selling Foundation materials. Just a thought.

Rosie

P.S. I echo the other sentiments about the walk. It was an awesome event, wind and all! For a first time event, I think things went rather well and we are all proud of Minnie and her family for making it happen.

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users