Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
minniea Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

A HUGE hello to Steve!
Yeah, I'm on the short side, my 12 year old has now passed me. BUT, I am bigger now thanks to my non compliant thyroid!! The extra weight is a huge source of amusement for my kids.
Larry, if you would like and if Rosie wouldn't mind, I can send you the pages from Heather's journal. I agree with you that we all learned alot yesterday and the strength of the will to live was bright even if the weather wasn't. We learned alot from this walk and next years will be even better.
Carol, I think selling the tshirts would be a good idea if you think anyone would buy them. Let me know and I will send you some. Go ahead and send the money you have directly to Brian. Once I get all that I have in some type of excel format that makes sense, I will be passing it all over to him and am hoping that everyone will send directly to Brian from here on out.
So who else is planning on having one??
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Hello All,

I am sitting in cinn airport paying about $25.00 to post this. My wife and I had a great time and meeting all the members was the highlight of our trip from Wisconsin.
Brian, Remember last Sunday when I told you , "you will be surprised at how much the walk will raise" A few dedicated people can move mountains. Bobbi131 and her family were great fund raisers as well as great people. The people we met by far exceeded our expectations. I will post more when we get home later. I will also be creating a shutterfly album and sending it out.
Minnie, "STAND TALL GIRL" You have a lovely family and Marcee and I will cherish the visit we shared.

Love to All, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

I wanted to take a minute and say a few words about Rosie, Heather's mother. She, her husband, her daughter in law (a lovely young lady) and her two beautfiul grandchildren, Mikayla and Lawson, drove here to attend the walk. Rosie is the epitome of a mother, a person that was meant to be a caregiver. Losing Heather must have been particularly hard for someone of her personality and nature. Rosie walked and talked and smiled throughout the event, in between making sure everyone was doing ok. Pictures of Heather were there and parts of her journal, things Rosie wanted to share with everyone. Heather continues to touch people and young people at the walk were educated by her story.
Thank you Rosie for sharing Heather with us.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Minnie
I don't think you realise how much of yourself you give either, you and Rosie are God's Children here on earth, and I thank God for the chance to know you both...
Sunshine...love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04

I am sorry I did not have a chance to speak with Rosie. I was deeply touched by the pictures of Heather, she was a beautiful young woman, as was Marcy.
Minnie, it was great, thank you for organizing it and I truly hope to be able to do more for oral cancer in the future. Let me know about the stand idea at Relay for Life.
Love, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Many many Kudo`s to all of you...what a wonderful bunch of people you are .

Thank You
from all of us xxxxx
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!

Hey Minnie, just got my response, I can distribute pamphlets for OCF at the Relay for Life, but cannot sell the t-shirts as all monies collected at the Relay must go to ACS.
If it is okay with Rosie, I would like a copy of the pages from Heather's journal. What a beautiful, courageous young woman she was. Her mom is pretty awesome, too!!!
Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Carol! What a great idea about a booth at the Relay for Life! My company sponsors a team and I'll check to see if I can put up a booth with our information, as well.

Minnie, I don't know if I mentioned this to you at the walk, but your 'memory boards' were incredibly moving, disturbing and scary. Seeing the faces of such beautiful (AND YOUNG) people who lost the joy of living to this ugly cancer brought me to tears - - and really strengthened my resolve to GET THE WORD OUT! Even those that have been with me through this with Tom heard again today about how aggressive and cruel this can be - - and, luckily, I have at least 2 people who have already scheduled their dental appointments WITH the request for a full cancer screening! smile
As I said on the general board, I do feel as if all the OCF angels were cheering us on this weekend. Tom and I will do all we can to let them know they are not forgotten.
Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.

Nicki, Relay for Life said I can have a booth or table and distribute our pamphlets but if I sell anything, the money goes to American Cancer Society rather than Oral Cancer Foundation. I will definitely give out the pamphlets at least.
I so agree with you about Minnie's Memory boards. I cannot get their faces off my mind, it does make me want to fight this all the more!!!
We talked about it on the ride home and Steve came up with the idea of the booth at Relay. I do believe the OCF angels were cheering us on, too!!!!SMILE!!!Carol

I just wanted to say how proud I am of my mom, Minnie, for her hard work orgazizing the walk this weekend. It was an amazing experience that touched my heart in a way I can never explain. I realized how precious life is and that it can be taken away in a heartbeat. I met some incredible people this weekend that I hope to see again next year. For the first walk to raise as much money as it did, everyone should be very proud of themselves. From the message board members to the strangers who read about the walk in the paper, I think everyone walked away with something this weekend. (If we could have gotten rid of the wind, it would have been perfect!) Mom, I know you were nervous about this weekend, but I don't think anyone could have done a better job. (Tell em to bring it on if they think they can!) I love you.

**A special hello to Mckayla and Lawson!! You guys were adorable!!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users