Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Jared,

Darrell is right. Cancer doesn't kill 100% of the people who smoke, chew or dip. It just kills a lot of the people who do, and tobacco is one of the most frequent causes of a whole smorgasboard of cancer.

By Darrell's sick logic, you might as well chew, because tobacco might not kill you. Or it might not give you Stage 3, T3,N1,M0, Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Base of Tongue.

I saw a guy on the news today who lost control of a nail gun and drove a 4 inch nail up through the roof of his mouth and into his brain. He lived to tell the tale, so what the heck? Maybe we should all drive nails into our brains to so we can get on TV. After all, it doesn't kill everybody.

Ken

SCCA T2N1M0 diagnosed 11/02, radical neck dissection, 7 weeks radiation, 6 surgeries to deal with osteonecrosis, 10 weeks hyperbaric oxygen. "Live strong. Laugh often."
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/people/sean_marsee.htm

Sean died at 19. It can happen quickly, or take a lifetime. The fact that you are asking questions and making a choice is an important first step. Mark Twain said that "Quitting smoking (or in your case using chew) is easy, I've done it a hundred times." That couldn't be more true, it is a tough habit / addiction to break. For some people the addiction is harder to break than for others. If you find that the over the counter patches and gums don't help you enough to break the ties, and you REALLY want to quit, ask your doctor to prescribe a nicotine inhaler for you. Rx only, they deliver the same dose of nicotine as you are used to, but just know that doctor is going to be weaning you off to lesser potent versions of it as the weeks go by. It is the solution for those that are really physically addicted, and beyond the capabilities to quit on their own. It's a tough fight but it is one worth fighting.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
jareds Offline OP
OP Offline

Again thanks everyone for the encouragement. I took one last dip of snuff this morning and then dumped my can out in the trash. Its been about 5 hours since and I have been getting urges here and there but reading all of the posts here is good reinforcement not to do it again.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Thanks for posting about Sean Brian. I read it when I first joined but each read hits home. There are many victims who are to young to suffer through this diaease. Education about early detection and refraining from any kind of tobocco use is critical in our fight to improve survival rates.

Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Jared,

Good move, buddy. Now, every time you get an urge, take a look at the oral cancer image gallery on this site. Beleive me, you don't want to go down this road.

Ken

SCCA T2N1M0 diagnosed 11/02, radical neck dissection, 7 weeks radiation, 6 surgeries to deal with osteonecrosis, 10 weeks hyperbaric oxygen. "Live strong. Laugh often."
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Jared,

Congratulations on the quit. Stay the course. In my case, I quit much as Brian revealed Mark Twain did. However, once diagnosed, nothing in my life was as easy as giving up tobacco. Cold turkey, simply not a problem. I will pray that you never have that same motivation.

Best regards,

John

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916