Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Lj, 5fu is a form of chemo, like cisplastin or carboplatin, etc. The pump is the way it is administered over a prolonged period of time[ you wear it] as opposed to sitting in a chair being infused for several hours.

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thanks, JAM, Has anyone on here had that sorta treatment? I would realy like to hear form someone who has. This is a SLOW ordeal.
But seems today my husband had a bit more energy. So thank God for small miracles!

CG to husband 53,39 rads. 3 rds cisplastin ended 6/2/07 Tonsils removed 1.10.07 11 of 20 nodes positive- lump removed on rt. side of neck 1/26/07 cancer of nasal pharnyx TXN2MX 2nd rd. of chemo- carbo/taxol on 6/11/07
JAM Offline

Lj, I should have mentioned in my post that a long time friend of mine has been on the 5fu pump off and on for many months now while battling liver cancer. He is able to go about his daily life with some constraints- he gets tired earlier in the day, reacts to cold or damp weather more, not much appetite, but still "going and doing". Hope there will be some folks here who have experience with it. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Melissa

Rob is now 6 weeks post Tx,and we are seeing very little improvemnt .Every time we think the mucous is subsiding it comes back with a vengance,he is eating by mouth very sporadically,and through his PEG still and his mood is very variable.The only difference now is we have stopped trying to anticipate the magic day and just listen to everything we are told by the "old hands"and take every day at a time.

Liz in the UK

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Melissa and Liz,

Liz comparing Rob to others may not be a good comparison since according to you he is continuing to smoke and drink as he did before and that certainly may affect his recovery when compared to others that don't. It is, at best, an unknown variable and at worst, the worst thing one could do to "aid" recovery.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Thanks David.I guess when i entered into the discussion about alcohol and cancer i was setting myself up for a comment like that and i guess you are just saying what everyone else is thinking.I am sorry Melissa and of course David is perfectly correct i am in no position to make comparisons to any one elses recovery and trust me i wont make the same mistake again.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Liz,

I hope you didn't take what I said as malicious. I certaintly didn't mean it that way but if it came across that way, I apologize.

What I meant to say is that it's terribly difficult to compare how two people getting the exact same Tx will do, much less having different varibles thrown into the equation especially one as egregious as continuing to do something against medical advice.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Thanks for that David i appreciate you taking the trouble to expand on your previous post.No apology needed i have to say my emotions are frazzled at the moment and i probably read too much into things. Robs behaviour has tested me to the limits and i am afraid at the moment i am found wanting.I guess i have some big decisions to make over the next few days because the situation cant go on for either of us.
I remember when i started this horrific journey you were the first person to answer my first post.Who would have guessed it would end like this.

Regards Liz

Liz in the UK

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Liz,
Have not got any magic answer for you.
Wish I did.

Being a caretaker is the hardest thing I have ever done.
We are the first to know when it is a bad day and have to walk on egg shells to try to calm frayed nerves. Or try to figure out schedules we can't really control. Felt I had no control almost daily. Was I that good at coping or just walking through like a zombie?
Nope. Forgot how much fun it was when I asked the Dr a question I knew he wouldn't and the look he gave me cut right through my soul. Trying to keep everything going while smiling about did me in.

As a caretaker we also see thru the face they put on for the world and show us the battle.
It really, really sucked big time.
(hope that's OK to post)

I'd do it again if the need arises.
But I would open up and ask for more support from others. Is there a group thru the hospital or locally to join?
If not post here..... lots of us understand.
Maggie

caregiver to husband
right tonsil stage 3
35 IMRT TX completed 1/5/2007
PET Scan clear 3/07
biopsy 9/07 clear
1st yr PET scan 12/18/07 clear
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Liz, there's so much going on right now it must be very hard to sort it all out. I remember when you first came on the forum and the issues you were dealing with. You have been an amazing support to Rob and you may need a break. Don't make any decisions when you're tired and upset. Can you get time away for yourself? Maybe it will help you figure things out. Hang in there. Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,916
Newest Members
cokecolagrannie, RiverChuck, Txteacher, UTFN57, Lexlie
13,186 Registered Users
Forum Statistics