Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#44024 10-23-2004 04:22 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

One more little note, because I don't think I recall seeing this particular issue being discussed before. If you get a PEG and then decide it is not right for you, you CANNOT get rid of it right away. We were told it takes about 6 weeks for the stomach wall to heal. If a PEG is pulled out before this healing is complete, the stomach would collapse. So, like it or not, you are stuck with it for at least that long. You don't have to use it. You just won't be able to get rid of it for awhile.

If you decide you don't like the naso-gastric tube, I believe it is no big deal to pull it out. Since no surgery is needed to insert it, there is no healing time needed before it can be removed. The worst that can happen is probably a sore nose and throat for a few days.

Again, I am not saying that a naso is preferable to a PEG most of the time. I am just saying it is a viable alternative. The main drawback is its less-than-appealing appearance. And I don't personally feel that cosmetics should play much of a role when making this decision.

Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
#44025 10-23-2004 05:24 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Rosie,
My post was not meant to offend. I'm sorry if it did. I felt like negative statements were being made about the PEG. I just wanted to keep some balance. I reread my post because I am very good at seeing my own mistakes but I just don't see how my post offended anyone. Again though, I am very sorry if it did.
Rosie, my post was made more because of Eileens post (sorry Eileen!), as I felt like she was stressing the infection/throat closing issues. But, she was simply stating her opinion, as was I.
My zeal for the PEG is from experience with it. I haven't had a nasogastric. We both are trying to help others which is what this board is for. I wasn't lashing out at anyone and I'm sorry if it appeared that way. I come on here for what the board can give me and what I can give the board. I don't come on here to debate nor to argue. For the first time I feel uncomfortable being here and that makes me sad.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#44026 10-23-2004 08:20 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

My mom never had a PEG tube but she did have the nasogastric tube for 8 days while she was in the hospital with the first surgery. She hated it. When the food went in it burned her like crazy and she made her doctor promise on the second surgery that he would not use the feeding tube again and he didn't. She had a trache and lost 3/4 of her tongue and a large portion of her mouth but the thing she hated most was that feeding tube in her nose. He never once mentioned using a PEG and my mom lost about 40 pounds and now 8 months post radiation has not gained a pound back. She lost a lot muscle and has a lot of loose skin and she looks like a completely different person than before radiation. I think they should have given her the PEG tube as a lot of days she never ate anything and I feel that because of the poor nutrition she took longer to heal than most....

Love ya Minnie....don't feel uncomfortable...your wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

Dani

Originally joined OCF on 12/12/03 as DaniO or Danijams
Dani-Mom SCC BOT & floor of mouth surgery-recur then surgery/rads & chemo completed 3/04
surgery 11/06 to remove dead bone & replace jaw w/ leg bone & titanium plate
#44027 10-23-2004 09:26 AM

Hi All,
Well my peg came out last week, was in place for eight weeks, no problems. My problem was from long periods of feeding, I only stopped throwing everything back after they stopped the pump and syringe fed me every few hours, similar to meal times, then I was fine, I was totally nil by mouth for nearly four weeks, so for me to use the peg myself for meds, water and food suppliments was fine..
Sunshine... love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
#44028 10-23-2004 12:15 PM

Minnie,

I don't like to use this forum for arguments or debates either, which was exactly why I resisted my initial urge to respond. As you can see, it was 2 days before I gave in and posted a reply. I should have been smart and done what some others did, put my thoughts in a private message instead of airing them on the forum. I'm sorry that I didn't choose to do so.

I think what I objected to in your post was your desire to "bring balance" to the issue.. I felt that we, as a group, had already done that. There were several opinions in favor of the PEG tube, a couple neutral and a couple, under certain conditions, in favor of the naso-gastric. That seemed to me to be pretty well-balanced. It also seemed to address Sherry's question rather thoroughly. I just didn't see how everyone touting the use of a PEG above all else and totally disregarding the potential value of a naso tube was bringing any kind of balance to the issue.

Don't forget, Sherry asked this question because Ken's oncologist had recommended a naso-gastric tube. Obviously, if this oncologist prefers a naso-gastric over a PEG and if it is routine in some countries to recommend a naso-gastric over a PEG, there has to be some merit to them. I readily concede that in the majority of cases, getting a PEG is the best decision one could make. They normally do work well, do not get infected and do not cause swallowing issues. But the fact is that some people do have problems with them. A PEG is not always, unequivocably, without a doubt, the best thing since sliced bread! And believe me, you do not want to be one of the people in that tiny minority who have a bad experience with one.

You have trouble understanding what I felt was offensive about your post. I have trouble understanding why some people can't concede the fact that sometimes a PEG isn't the best choice. And, just for the record, I didn't think your post was offensive. It just needed a balancing view. Whew, all this balancing.........you'd think we were all gymnasts! Also on a lighter note, I loved your "food" for thought pun, Sherry!

Minnie, before Brian comes down on me for causing discord on the boards and locks this thread, let me say my response to your post was too heated and I do apologize for that. And I am sorry for making you feel uncomfortable. But I stand by my assertion that sometimes, just sometimes, a naso-gastric tube is preferable to a PEG. One must get all the facts, discuss the pros and cons with their doctor, take a deep breath and choose. Then get on with their treatment and kick this cancer beast in the butt! laugh

Take care all, wink
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
#44029 10-23-2004 03:57 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

OK...now I have to tell my nasogastric story. When I was 13 (back in 1969 eek ), my father was a pharmacist at the Air Force base we were stationed at in Wichita, Kansas (where I was born, too). At the kickoff of Poison Prevention Week, I was put on a gurney and they "simulated" pumping my stomach from ingesting poison. They took the tube and started inserting it in my nose, snapped a photo and put it in the base newspaper. I was a hero amongst the kids. Sad though, I have had a fear of tubes put in my nose since. Just the thought of it when it was mentioned in the first post on this thread had me reaching for my "second belly button" with pride!

Best wishes for Ken to choose whatever he feels is best to get through his treatment.

Ed laugh

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
#44030 10-23-2004 03:57 PM

Rosie,
You are the only one that has said a thing to me about my post, private or on the forum. I spent alot of time thinking about this today and would like to simply bow out of the conversation. It isn't productive and I avoid conflict in my life at all costs unless it is a conflict that will have some type of positive outcome. Again, I didn't set out to offend you and apologize that my post had such an effect on you.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#44031 10-23-2004 05:48 PM

Minnie,

The private message I referred to was sent to me, voicing approval for my post. The person didn't want to add to the discord, so didn't post it publicly. I guess I have not done a good job of explaining myself. My last post seems to have made things worse, so let me clarify:

Minnie, Your post did not "offend" me. And I'm sorry I upset you.

Sherry and Ken, I apologize for hijacking and ruining your post. Please don't let this episode of my bad judgement affect your participation on the forum.

Ed, I am trying to picture you lying on that gurney with a tube stuck in your nose. And at age 13, no less. I'm not sure "hero" would be what my 13 yr old friends would have been thinking! Just too funny! Thanks for trying to inject a lighter note.

Brian, I'm sorry I screwed up. I'm bowing out now, too. It might be wise to lock this thread.

Rosie

#44032 10-23-2004 10:39 PM
Dolores Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Wow, what a lot of responses I generated with my original question! Believe it or not, the responses have all been very helpful and informative. So, please, don't "lock the thread", whatever that means, because anything else anyone can post just may be helpful, also.

Sherry (Dolores is the name of my cat) Wife to Ken, starting chemo/radiation 10/25/04. Stage IV SCC of right tonsil, T2,N2A,MO
#44033 10-24-2004 04:40 AM

Delores,I hope you make the right decision for your husband. There are so many things to think about for treatment and it all seems so frightening. This board is such a source of information and all of us are here to help.
Ed, I agree with Rosie..........what a sight that must have been!
Minnie

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics