Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#41943 11-27-2007 10:39 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Lois,
I realize that this is a very late response to your question but the head and neck surgeon told me that, in addition to all of the issues that Brian mentioned, there was also a much greater risk of infection due to the amount of time I would have been on the table - 14 hrs+. In addition to that, I would have required radiation anyway which probably would have caused a pectoral flap failure and I would also be at lifetime risk of aspiration induced pneumonia, not to mention rather severe QOL issues in general.

My team made their recommedations not only based on the medical issues, best odds for survival and QOL but also how it would minimize impact on my current (at the time) life and who I am as a person - somewhat of a holistic approach. I was blessed with a great team from 2 different medical centers, Kaiser and UCSFCCC and they had regular conferences so it was truly an integrated medical team. Five years post I am still seeing them and would not hesitate to follow the same plan. After a lengthly recovery, I have built a building from scratch, started a business, became vice president in another business and resurrected my original core consulting business. I also DJ and play live music as well and have a very busy agenda. The only thing that hasn't come to pass is my oncologist stating "well 2 years from now when you're fat again..." That didn't happen. I lost over 60 lbs and gained 30 back and am at a perfect BMI which has remained stable.

At five years post, I am happy with my decision, not that it hasn't caused me angst periodically or the issues with collateral radiation damage to neck muscles, which Ed (Uptown) eloquently describes in one of his recent posts. I got a lifetime supply of Valium out of it though so it could be worse;-)

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#41944 11-27-2007 02:38 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Gary: Thank you for your response. I'm sure I'm suffering from information overload; I'm just so perplexed by the many treatment plans offered by various doctors across the U.S.

I sometimes forget that Buzz is nearly 77 years old, and was sincerely surprised by the aggressive treatment suggested by ENT at Baptist, due to his age. I'm sure if he had been younger, or if the cancer had been elsewhere, a totally different regimen would have been recommended.

I appreciate your clarification!

Lois

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
#41945 11-27-2007 08:10 PM

Lois,
IMHO it sounds like they are going to hit this thing as hard as they can because they think he can take it. There has been older folks then Buzz go through this. One thing that has always amazed me is just how resilient the human body is. We have a built in will to survive.

His treatment plan doesn't sound much differemt than many far younger patients here have recieved so I am not sure that I agree with you that a "totally different regimen would have been recommended" if he had been younger.

Based on his staging and TMN, it sounds to me like a standard protocol for an aggresive treatment plan, right out of the NCCN Oncology Practice guidelines.

At least there is reason for hope - this is definitely not a palliative treatment plan..

It's a given that this will not be a walk in the park and there may be some very difficult days (regardless of his age). You can only fight the battles as they come - one day at a time. Try to stay focused on the "now" and not on what "would, should or could" be.

By the way, at 77 my dad re-roofed his house and was very physically active (practically killed me - he was like a mountain goat up there and carrying full bundles of asphalt shingles to boot). He passed away at 92 from non-Hodgkins lymphoma. The very day he died - he said he was "going to beat it" - and he did.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#41946 11-28-2007 04:33 PM

"The very day he died - he said he was "going to beat it" - and he did."

...what a beautiful testimony...thanks for sharing, Gary!

When doctors and their assistants praise Buzz for his progress, he always tells them, "Sure, I'm doing great, I have the best nurse that love can buy"!
This statement always makes tears come to my eyes.
Like your dad, Buzz was 'volunteering' at least 20 hrs/week at our local country club, maintaining all the grounds equipment, running the Pro Shop, then playing 18 holes 3-4 times a week, even up to the day before his surgery in July when he shot a 68!
It is my belief that God don't make 'em like these guys anymore!

Thanks for your response to my post!

Lois

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
#41947 11-29-2007 06:08 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

my mom didnt have radiation, just surgery on her tongue .. how it got to the neck ..and now to the lungs ..they are just not sure ...

I think maybe if they would have given her radiation and removed all her nodes in the neck this might have been prevented .. but .. then again ..who knows

H

the world brought me to my knees...
Update: Feb 10/08: Mom passed away on Jan 31,08 - infection (unknown) in her lungs with her weakened immune system resulted in cardiac arrest - T2NO SCC of tongue surgery 6/30/06, SCC left neck and lungs detected Sept 07, 7 weeks rad/3 rounds chemo had no effect.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users