Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Your support staff and doctors will hopefully prep you for much ahead of time. I think it was gary who posted a really good list of things to have on hand before you needed them, but I can't find it now. it dealt with things like pain meds before they were needed, laxatives, which the pain meds will cause you to need, and much more. Gary if you read this, could you put up your "get ready list" again?

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Well the original post was a request for dental information but here's the rest of the stuff you should have "pre-positioned". If you really need these and you don't have them on hand - you will be making a trip to the ER to get them, which usually always seems to happen either at night or on the weekend.

1. Anti-emetics - several different ones and compazine suppositories are a great idea as well.

2. Anti-acids, like Pepcid AC

3. Laxatives and stool softeners like Colace

4. Thrush medications like Diflucan and/or Nystatin "swish & spit"

5. "Pink Magic" a compound mixed by the pharmacist with morphine and lidocaine for numbing the mouth - essential for eating and drinking orally with mouth sores

6. Narcotics - long term and short term
- "long" for everday pain such as Duragesic patches or Oxycontin
- "short" for breakthrough pain such as morphine sulphate.

7. Topical lotions for radiation burns like "Radiacare" - some RT departments have samples of this they will give you.

Insure the skin is dry and clear of all lotions before actually receiving your daily RT. Some lotions can have a "bolus" effect where they actually enhance the skin damage.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

I don't know if this was mentioned to you or not yet, but getting fitted for dental protection trays is also important before you start treatment. Was a peg tube also mentioned? I waited to long because of stupidity and almost died of dehydration over a weekend. DON'T wait get it done prior to feeling exhausted and in pain. Maria G

Maria 33 when diagnosed with SCC, partial glossectomy with skin graph from thigh,rt side nodes removed,ten nodes positive, PEG, 30 RAD tx, 1998. Scans clean.30 HBO tx-Massive dental work 07-08, ORN present 2009.

New here (ok, returning from a few years ago)...

my Mother in law (lives with us) was just diagnosed with her 2nd round of oral cancer.. first time was 6 yrs ago on the top of her mouth/sinus area. It took nearly 3 yrs to get her dental implants to the point where she could begin to think about eating something other than boost when she was diagnosed with esophageal cancer (another primary). Just today she was diagnosed again with oral, this time near the corner of her lip. Frankly, her mouth has been a mess for a few years now, she is tube fed and has been for 3 yrs and is so fed up with it all.

We are waiting now on her appt with the radiology oncologist (her ENT does not think surgery is a good option for her at this point, especially given the condition of her mouth already). In the meantime, I am trying to get my ducks in order... would getting her seen asap by her prosthodontist be the next step? Her lower implants are screwed in semi-permanently, and the uppers she can remove on her own.

Because I have a special needs child I really have to plan ahead as much as possible. He is TPN and GT fed and we have to travel for his medical care at least a few times a year (coming up the end of october through mid november), so planning is essential to make sure everyone is taken care of appropriately.

Any suggestions on planning would be most helpful... I do have a call in to her regular onco doc as well, hoping maybe he can give us some insight on what this means and what to expect with regards to how well he expects her to get through treatment, assuming she decides to. She is considering not, so if you can give thoughts regarding what would happen if she chooses not to treat that would also be appreciated..

thanks a bunch,

heidi

JAM Offline

Dear Heidi, what a challenge for your family! While I can't speak to the issues above[other than appreciate your mother-in-law wanting to be able to make her own choice]I do hope the best for you all. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916