Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#25612 01-26-2003 02:10 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Was wondering if anyone has had any of these problems after their radiation treatment has been completed. I have been experiencing dizzy spells along with the feeling of an electrical shock running down my spine from neck to my butt. I have read that radiation can damage the nerves, especially for head/neck cancers but can not find any other info. Radiation has been completed approx. 6 months for laryngeal cancer. I have been waiting to get an appointment with my oncologist but he is on vacation till this Monday. Any help will greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike D

Diagnosed 06/2002, w/Laryngeal cancer, Stage 1

#25613 01-26-2003 02:52 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Mike. This issue was raised some weeks ago, I think by Danny. Dinah's rad oncologist told her that about 5% of patients experience the electrical current feeling. As I told her, that makes us special. In my case, lowering my head to look down triggers it. However, mine, over the last couple of months, has become less and less intense. I go days now without noticing it, so perhaps yours will go away too. It is not anything except an after effect, so take comfort that you are in an elite group (grin). That said, however, I think you should investigate the dizziness, as I do not recall that anyone in our small group experienced that.
Joanna

#25614 01-26-2003 02:58 PM

Hi, my husband had the same symptoms for months after his treatments. His dr said the effects of radiation and in his case chemo can last months and months after you are done. It was worse for him after he exercised or walked or actually did anything that took exertion, he would look down or put his head down and have that feeling.
Dr also said you can feel that as your nerves and muscles repair themselves. Does that make sense?
He doesn't get it very often anymore.

Sherrie wife to Dan, Tonsil cancer survivor, Stage IV diagnosed July/2001
#25615 01-26-2003 05:06 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

When I asked my radiation oncologist about feeling that funny shocking feeling when I look down, especially while out walking, he turned to the young doctor in training who was trailing him, and asked, " that is called .........."? In other words it is a common syndrome, whose name I don't recall. I do think that it is supposed to subside after a while. Of all the sid effects of radiation therapy, it is probably the most innocuous for me.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#25616 01-27-2003 01:46 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike,

Yep!!! Everyone is right - the doctor's told me that the "shocking" will fade in time. I'm a year out from radiation (Jan. 25th-yeah!) and it has all but gone. The syndrum starts with a "L" that's all I remember.

As far as dizzy - I can't help you there. I have low blood pressure, so it would be really hard for me to tell if it was new!!! But, I will be interested in what the doctor tells you, since I am undergoing chemo right now and it does seem to be more frequent.

Good luck and when he tells you the name for the tingles - write it down and post for us, since I can't seem to grasp it.

Dinah

#25617 01-27-2003 05:00 PM
OP Offline

Thanks to everyone who replied, that really helped to know. I did find out today the results of blood test that the ENT surgeon ordered to see if my thyroid was working at capacity. The resulst showed my thyroid is under producing, and possibly the radiation affected it. He wrote a script for Synthroid, a hormone replacement. That could explain the dizziness and other symptoms. It really helps being able to talk with people who understand. Thanks.

Mike D.

Diagnosed 06/2002, w/Laryngeal cancer, 1st stage

#25618 02-26-2003 04:00 PM
OP Offline

Hey Guys:
Talked with the Rad doc and said it is called LaBeet(not for sure on spelling)but he did not know that the percentage of patients with this. He said I'm the first to talk with him about this. Let him know about this site, just in case he needs any info??? Thanks.

#25619 02-26-2003 04:11 PM

Mike, with regard to the "electrical" charge, my rad doc told me about a patient who is a long haul trucker. The guy said this kept him awake because every time his head dropped, he got a charge and woke up! Mine is nearly gone now, and I only notice it very occasionally.
Joanna

#25620 06-01-2003 01:26 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Mike, just wondering - how are things with the dizziness and "electrical shock" feeling? Are things better? Just wondering, since yesterday - out of the clear blue, my husband got up from a reclining position on the couch, and complained of a brief dizziness episode. It lasted a few seconds, but went away. (no electrical shock feeling though). He was Ok after that, but then when he got up again sometime later - it happened again. This is a new one on me - he has never had a problem with getting a dizzy spell like these before. He has been finsihed with his radiation for 6 months now. Going on 4 months post-surgery for modified radical neck dissection. There is still a "hardened" feeling under his chin, side of face and throat - so I don't know if this has something to do with it or not. He also seems to be a bit more confused lately as well. He'll forget or seem confused on simple things - but things he should know very well otherwise. For example - just the other day he was composing a letter to someone, and he couldn't think of President Bush's father's first name. I told him it was "George" - and that surprised me, since he should have known that because he was President Bush's motorcade driver when Bush Sr. was in office, and he came to town for functions, etc. Also - knowing what day it is earlier in the day - but forgetting in the evening. I wonder if there is any kind of restricted blood flow, being caused by the hardened tissue resulting from the surgery he had. Anyways - sorry to be so long-winded about this, but just wondering if you or anyone else can shed some light on what could be causing the dizziness and memory/confusion? It's not always like that - but just now and then it seems to be a problem. Perhaps it could be related to his thyroid? Thanks to all for your help.

DonnaJean
#25621 06-01-2003 02:25 PM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Hi all my husband has had a recent onset of growing a waddle under his chin He thinks it's water and doesn't want to have it checke . He had chemo and rad no surgery and finished about a month ago. I'm guessing It's everything that was swollen cause it to sag sorta like after a pregnancy. I'm going to continue to push for him to see Md but his stubbornness is an issue.
Thanks Diane

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina