Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#25404 08-26-2002 05:38 PM
Misty Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I'm a 33 y/o F. I'm pretty concerned with a red patch on the side of my tongue. I've been putting off having it looked at for 6 months now. I guess I've always hoped that it would just go away. Well it hasn't and I'm pretty worried now. I finally saw the dentist who brought the oral surgeon over right away. Well I'm having a biopsy done on Wednesday. I've read a lot about white patches on the tongue...can anyone tell me if I should be concerned with a "red" patch? It is not hard or anything but sometimes has small lesions that get quite sore. It's about the size of a quarter. I've also read about a lump in the cheek (which I have) and also swollen lymph nodes (slightly swollen on the same side). I keep telling myself that it is nothing because I am so young and try to stay in great physical shape. If anyone has any thought, I'd really like to hear. Thanks!

#25405 08-28-2002 04:41 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Please remember that I know nothing about your particular situation, and what I say may not apply to you. So..... just the facts. The majority of oral cancers are associated with two types of tissue abnormalities, leukoplakia (white), and erythroplakia (red). Occasionally there are lesions which are mixed red and white. The more dangerous of the two is erythroplakia. As you have read from many of the posts here, and in the body of the web site, neck swelling is also a possible sign of cancer. Please remember that there are benign things which mimic these cancer symptoms, and until you have a definitive diagnosis as the result of a biopsy, it is best not to worry too much. I know...easier said than done.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25406 09-20-2002 02:14 PM

hi!am just curious about the result of your biopsy. i have a friend who had the same symptoms as you have.he kept putting off going to the doctor and by the time he finally went,it has already spread to his lymph nodes. if you haven't had biopsy yet, please go ASAP. time is very important.

#25407 09-20-2002 04:51 PM
Misty Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Juliana,
No I haven't gotten my biopsy results back yet. I had the biopsy done over 2 weeks ago and still don't know anything. I couldn't believe it, the doc said that he was going to take a "little piece" and when I woke up at home he ended up taking about a 1 inch slice out of the side of my tongue! OUCH!! The doc said not to worry, but how can you not? Anyway, I will be sure to post the results either way. I hope your friend is doing well. Thanks!

#25408 09-21-2002 06:08 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi, Guess what ,they lie right? Be glad they did that, my first biopsy was negative for cancer.The Oral surgeon called me at work to tell me that,he said I want a second biopsy to be sure, sometimes squamous cell likes to hide inside another growth.I did not want to do it and he would not take no for an answer. Second test positive, he made a deep cut for this one, it was so deep when the Doctors were looking at me for the tumor board they kept saying whats that? Oh, second biopsy, and shaking their heads like ya right would have to be to find it. By the way , this ended up being Stage 4. So even though you think he took a lot, it really isn't, and you will be sure one way or another. Good luck to you. gnelson

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000
#25409 09-23-2002 02:54 PM
Misty Offline OP
OP Offline

gnelson,

I guess it is good they took enough the first time, just to be sure. I'm just concerned now that the results aren't back. It will be 3 weeks on Wednesday and I still don't know for sure. Like I said, the Doc told me there is nothing to worry about, but what he doesn't realize is that I've done my homework. I read his write-up in my chart and I know exactly what he "thought". How long should results take to get back, anyone know? They sent them to Walter Reed.

#25410 09-23-2002 03:46 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Misty, this time period to get the results of a biopsy back is not right. It takes 3-4 days for a lab to process things and return the information to the doctor. You should press your doctor for an explanation and find out what's what. If you have something bad, every day counts as it spreads to other areas of the body quite quickly. While it is only my personal opinion, this doctor is negligent at best, and further, shows no concern for your emotional well being by letting this situation continue without an answer. Make him get on the phone tomorrow and get you an answer or have him tell you why not. It is time to be assertive.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25411 09-25-2002 09:57 AM
Misty Offline OP
OP Offline

I finally got the nerve to call the doctor yesterday. He said "I was going to call you today"...ok. He gave me the run around mumble jumble like I didn't know anything. Basically he told me that it was not "normal" and it was pre-cancerous. He said that he was still not concerned because I am not a smoker or drinker. But from everything I read, that really doesn't matter. He said he wanted me to schedule a CT scan this week to check for swollen lymph nodes. I've already told him that my lymph node on the same side was swollen. Well I won't be able to get an appointment until the end of October. I'm concerned because I've read so much about cancer spreading quickly. It's been 9 months since I first saw the red patch and it will be almost 3 months from the time I initially went to the dentist until I get the results from the CT scan. All in all, it will take just short of a year!! Should I be more concerned with it all taking so long? This not knowing for sure is driving me insane...I just want to know SOMETHING! Thanks for listening....I really need it.

#25412 09-25-2002 11:13 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Misty,

Just my opinion only...but I would get to an ENT now. Get a referral from your G.P. or a good friend. Or call a med clinic and ask them for a list of Drs. they refer to. The time is now and although you may not want an answer - the not knowing is much worse. It's second opinion time.
Your profile doesn't say where you are from, but someone on the board may know a doctor in your area.

Take care,
Dinah

#25413 09-25-2002 03:03 PM
Misty Offline OP
OP Offline

My only problem is that I'm active duty military. That leaves me with no choice of doctors. I see who they say and wait until they have time to see me. It's hard to keep waiting and wondering.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users