Judy.........Have you tried the antidepressant zyban to help quit smoking? Also lots of time Universities have Quit Smoking Clinics and I also believe The American Cancer Society may have one. I also read somewhere (I think on this forum, a post maybe) that acupuncture maybe a helpful tool in quitting the smokes. Join a support group or just quit cold turkey. I know, much harder said than done but your life really does depend on it. Perhaps viewing cigerettes as "cancer sticks" or "nails for the coffin" will work. Quitting "the smokes" is hard work, but it can be done and IS done by people everyday! Trust me when I say, you do NOT want to lose your tongue, tosil, hard palate, soft palate, jaw or anything else to cancer. It just isn't worth it and I'm sure there are many many folks on this board who can and will, agree with that! Good luck in kicking the nasty habit/addiction. We'll be here rooting for you all the way!........Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!